• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing this Afternoon with the Boss

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Going out in about 30 minutes with the boss to play on my home course. Hopefully the course isn't too full and we can get 18 in. One thing I don't have to worry about is sandbagging so I don't beat the boss as he is a +1 or +2.

Of course we have to play from the tips. I play those about 20% of the time. I hope the wind dies down some. I will let you know how it goes.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I play with my boss sometimes, and my VP.. We all talk crap to each other, and my boss sucks until he get some beer in his hands, and then he's ON!

Tell him to play from the middle tee's.. It'll push him into a bunch of the hazards, and mess with his club selection if he's used to the course. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wow, sounds like your boss is no joke out on the course. He must play a ton. From what I've seen a + cap is very hard to maintain and takes a lot of shortgame practice.

I play with my boss all the time and he's kinda the one sandbagging me. I can beat him straight up pretty much all the time but when I have to give him our 6stroke differential it's very hard. He putts better than me and is way more accurate off the tee. I strike irons much better and my wedge game is the biggest margin of difference. Thankfully the gap will close to 4 strokes next week and then it'll be an extremely even match. I still feel like my A-game is way more dangerous than his though. I can rack up a lot more birds when I'm on and if the driver is on the par 5 and long par 4 advantage gets huge. Of course the same could be said for par 3's. He misses the green and is mentally beat, trying to just save bogey... me, I'm trying to still make birdie with a hole-out.

OP
gpo

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Well, I played like cr@p. I just can't play well with him for some reason. I came in with an 84, which included 2 great shots by me. One from prairie grass by the green which I got up and down for par. The second an approach shot to 2 feet from 170. Even with those I still shot badly.

My boss on the other hand played great except for one maybe two holes. Here is the rundown on the course. It is par 72 playing just under 6900 from the tips. Slope is like 125 and rating 72.4 I think. My boss played at SMU and made a go at playing for a living back in the early 90s. He did not make it. He doesn't practice at all. Maybe hits the range 3 times a year. He probably plays about 25 to 30 times a year at most. We went out cold with no warm-up. He bogeyed the first hole mainly because he was sure of the speed of the greens on his first chip. From then on he makes 4 birdies and no bogies until 17.

So he is 3 under coming into 17, which is the shortest par 5 on the course. He hits his drive in the right hazard trying to cut the corner too much. He makes a double. It is a hole that he probably birdies 40-50% of the time and pars the rest except for maybe 5% of the time. He parred 18 to finish 1 under. Ironcially he played the par 5s 1 over. When most of the time he would play those 4 par 5s 2 under if not more.

He is crazy long. He almost reached a 573 par 5(no wind) in two with driver & hybrid 19*. It probably would have rolled on if he did not catch the rough by the green. Also he did just catch the rough on the drive as well. I have seen him reach that par 5 with those clubs before. Oh, BTW he hit a 8 iron 175 with a little helping wind on a par 3 yesterday.

The thing that is more amazing is his approach shots. If he hits one say 25 to 30 off target it is a bad shot.

In case you are wandering he games a 905r or 905s whichever is smaller with a rombax x-stiff staff. He says these days it is all in the shaft you are playing not so much the head of the driver.

If I ever meet someone that is thinking about playing for a living and won't shut up about I will just have said person play my boss. Because if you can't beat him you definitely won't make it.

🔥 Latest posts