• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing Through-Golf Etiquette

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Ha - I got one..there is a cooter that plays the local muni that bombs drives. There is an uphill dog left par 5 that is longer than some but open from the tee so people try to kill it. There were some fellows that wouldnt let him go so he drove over them by 100 yards. He got some comment at the pro shop but I was like hey they earned that one.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
In my younger and, let's say less tolerant days, we were at our local muni and a group was pushing us, but we were pushing the group in front of us...it was stacked up. They never asked to play through. We were in the fairway, and without warning they hit into us. We yelled back we were being held up, they said they didn't care they were tired of waiting. I walked to the ball and hit it deep in the woods off to the side. As it flew in, I told them to use their spare time looking for their balls as I would hit every ball they hit into us the same way.

Yep, it was stupid. But, the guys calmed down.

I have no issue playing through or being played through. Had they asked, we'd have said sure. But I can't stand stupid people on the course and used to wouldn't tolerate it.

I've mellowed...some...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It depends on the situation, but if I know they're hitting into me on purpose, it depends on what type of balls they're hitting.

Good ones? It goes in my bag. Shitty ones? Gets hit into the nearest lake/woods/etc.

I don't care if people want to play through. I would prefer them to play through if they're playing faster and usually ask them before they ask...unless of course there's no where to go.

I always ask to play through if we're waiting on the group ahead and it's obvious they're not waiting on anyone. If they say no, I call the club house. If the club house doesn't care, I'll either skip ahead, or just start playing 4 balls.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
In my younger and, let's say less tolerant days, we were at our local muni and a group was pushing us, but we were pushing the group in front of us...it was stacked up. They never asked to play through. We were in the fairway, and without warning they hit into us. We yelled back we were being held up, they said they didn't care they were tired of waiting. I walked to the ball and hit it deep in the woods off to the side. As it flew in, I told them to use their spare time looking for their balls as I would hit every ball they hit into us the same way.

Yep, it was stupid. But, the guys calmed down.

I have no issue playing through or being played through. Had they asked, we'd have said sure. But I can't stand stupid people on the course and used to wouldn't tolerate it.

I've mellowed...some...
I've done that too. Same situation, the course was backed up and 2 highschool punks drove into us and didn't even yell fore. I gave them a WTF gesture then chipped the ball into a ditch. No words were said.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As I've said before, we have the first tee time at our course on weekends. Yesterday morning, we were gathered near #1 tee box waiting on the pro to give us the go-ahead. A two... both dressed as if they were playing Augusta National and with bags of clubs that defined them as "you may have spent money above your skill level" types... walked up. The pro asked if he could help them. They said they were a two, didn't have a tee time, and wondered if they could get out in front of the "weekend slow players". Pro told them we were going off a few minutes ahead of our scheduled time, so they were welcome to follow us. We had three riding and one walking. The two told the pro, "We're just two and want to play quickly." Guess they assumed we would hold them up.
The pro told them we were off in front of them, he would accomodate them with being able to play, but they weren't going off first. They discussed it between themselves and decided to play. They rented a cart. Therefore, two in a cart were following a 4, with one walking.
Sheesh! As we made the turn, coming off #9 green, they were just moving from #7 green to #8 box. Once we got on the back, we never saw them. The pro said they were a good 4 holes behind us when we finished.
Had they pushed us, we would have let them through. Had they gone out in front of us, just from the attitude displayed with the pro, I doubt they would have returned the favor. Who knows.

🔥 Latest posts