• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing Through-Golf Etiquette

OP
sandwedge

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
We did talk to the ranger earlier in the round about slow play and he told us the ladies would let us play through if the circumstances presented themselves for it. Since they were basically a hole behind and not even ready to play there was no reason for them to tell us no. On this course the 10th tee is actually about a 1/4 mile from the clubhouse so there were no rangers or anyone nearby.

I think the one lady that caused the big commotion was just a spoiled old lady who is used to getting her own way and wanted to be mean. We would have never even asked to play through if they weren't just sitting around with a hole open in front of them.

I guess the situation could have been handled better by both parties. I am actually glad I kept my mouth shut and my friend did all of the talking because I probably would have said some things that wouldn't have been too nice.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
...he will know that the group that stops at the turn yields their right to the 10th tee.

Most of the courses I play have a sign at the turn that says "5 minute time limit - players exceeding this will lose their place", or something to that effect.

I thought it was pretty common to allow 5 minutes?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Most of the courses I play have a sign at the turn that says "5 minute time limit - players exceeding this will lose their place", or something to that effect.

I thought it was pretty common to allow 5 minutes?

The 5 minutes would usually be the limit for the next group to finish the ninth hole, therefore if you exceed that, they are allowed to pass. We have the sign that says you give up the right to the tee so that if they do stop, they make it quick.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I agree with the original poster of asking to play through, but because the course was crowded and obviously by playing ahead it wouldn't have made your round much shorter (they caught up to you later) I wouldn't have minded if the group said no to my request.

Would I have asked to play through? Yes
Would I have played through after them saying no? No, only because it was busy though

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
very seldom have i ever asked to play thru.most of my experiences the group in front just lets me thru.i usually tell them it wasnt necessary.that way i seem polite and they always get out of my way after that.

cause they know i am a good guy.:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
very seldom have i ever asked to play thru.most of my experiences the group in front just lets me thru.i usually tell them it wasnt necessary.that way i seem polite and they always get out of my way after that.

cause they know i am a good guy.:laugh:
Not to mention that your big enough to scare the bejeebus out of them...

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I hate slow play, If I was on the course with my buddies no lie we would finish a normal 18 hole course in 2 and a half hours. There have been times where I finished in under 2 hours. Hit the ball, I'm not pro so I don't have to act like one.

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
I hate this situation because it happens all the time and neither of you are in the wrong imo. They should never let a twosome go out on a crowded course unless they have to and if so they should make it clear to you that you probably won't be able to play through even though you are going to be faster because you can't expect every group every other hole or so to stop and let a twosome play through. Thats just my opinion but I think that a twosome has no rights on a crowded course even though I have been in your position many times.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Looking back at these old threads makes me realize something... SUX's signature was really annoying.

🔥 Latest posts