• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing with people who can't keep score.....

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I can't stand it anymore..

I played today with a friend, who happens to be my bosses son. He's a good guy, and I've know him for a while.. He started playing golf again recently, and I sold him a bunch of my gear from last year.

He's a pretty competitive person, so I know it comes natural to want to "beat" someone in sports or anything..

So today, he brings his brother-in-law. It's weird enough that this guy is married to a girl I used to date in the past for quite some time, but I get past it, and I have no issues with it. Yes, for those who followed, I used to date the bosses daughter. :)

Anyways.. He's not real keen on scoring, so when he puts one in the woods, he sometimes "forgets" to count it. Or he'll put two in the woods off the tee, and just go find one in the woods. Drag it out, and some how come up with a way to score it.

Okay, fine.. But then he starts trying to tell me how to score it, and then argues when I tell him I got X on a certain hole! So it all starts to be a bicker-fest when I explain that I moved my ball off the cart path, and moved it back, or took my drop from the hazard, ect.

He and his brother in law also like to "try for fun" shots.. So I tell them if they insist on it, hit their "in play" shot first, and then just try and crank a drive out there.. Well, it turns up where they want to pick and choose which ball they want to play..

He puts then in yellow stake hazards, claims the creek is dry and can play out of it without a stroke, then proceeds to chunk it twice out of it, and then picks it up, and tosses on the fairway.. ??? Seriously?

Today, they put 4 balls off the tee box into the right woods. Same place each time.. I told them they were deep and wouldn't have anything to play. Mine was short and just off the cart path in some weedy/rough area. I took my 2 strokes trying to get it out and back into the fairway.

When I jacked the hole up and told them I had a double on the par 5, his brother in law tell me he's lining up for his par putt.....Really?! After 4 in the woods?? They tell me they found all 4, and just hit the one that had bounced back into the right rough...

How the hell does that work right? They have no clue what brand, number, mark their balls have, so when they crank multiple balls out there, they just claim it's the 1st ball, and play it on as they would. My friend did it earlier on another hole. Infact, he put two balls over there.. Mine hit the carth path and took a bad bounce and went over there. I couldn't find it, took my drop, and played the hole out.. He said both balls of his were side by side.. Funny thing is.. Next hole he was playing with MY TAYLORMADE with my MY SHARPIE MARK on it!!

I just couldn't get past it, and bugged the shit out of me..

18th hole is a bitch of a hole, 580 yards, runs by a lake, and then you have to clear the lake with a good 170 yard carry to the island green. It's stupid as hell.. We all put it in the fairway, and I lay it up for my 3rd shot. His brother in law is about to lay it up, and does so. Then he says he wants to try to hit the green on the fly from 245 yards... My buddies tells him to try it... We think he missed it, and when we all make our approach shots, we see a lone ball around 25 ft from the pin on the back of the green.

He made it over... Then proceeds to tell everyone he's putting for eagle, because since he made it over, he should be able to play it, instead of playing the original ball that he laid up with..

I was about to wrap my gap wedge around my neck.

To put more dirt in the wound, he then exclaims that he "beat me" and told he knew he would..

I just don't think I want to play with people like this anymore. My normal golf buddy is so carefree. He and I know what each other shot. We don't questions each others shots and penaltie strokes. We don't play to "beat" each other.. Golf is hard enough in a normal round to try and score as well as possible, and we don't have any money on the rounds usually.

I could understand if there was money and wanting to make sure someone is fair, but golf is about being honest, and having to watch everyone to count their strokes is just annoying as hell to me. I try to just not watch and count it up, but I just can't get past the, "I got a bogey".. When they put 1 in the woods, hit it in the fairway, chunked the approach, pitched it to the green and 2 putt, and then pick it up for a "gimmie" and tell me they get a 5 on the par 4...

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i'm taking a break from the group who i've played with every sunday for the past 4 years. if the golf part of the golf game isn't the #1 priority, i just don't want to play with them(mostly one culprit). so, regarding your post, golf with people you want to play with, you have the choice. i'm actually discovering there quite a few guys out there(i've been just showing up at the pro shop as a single, and get thrown into goups of 2-3.) who have respect for the game, and other people's game.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Fat, I absolutely would not play with *******s like that. I might even kick one of them in the ribs. I would DEFINITELY be pretty... assertive.

"Actually, I know that was your 4th ball that you found. How do I know? How do YOU know it's your first? Since you don't, assuming you actually found one at all, it counts as your fourth ball. Better make that putt for an 11, *******."

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I didn't say it on that instance where he had 4 balls in the woods. I've played with that guy twice now, and he's not that good at all. He can crush it with a driver, but only the good Lord knows where it's going.. He's just feeding off the fact that he doesn't give a crap what his score is, which is fine. He doesn't argue the scores.

My friend is the one that argues the scores.. He will only take a penalty stroke if it means it won't cost him to be down a stroke to me.

Taking my ball did piss me off.. Then when I tell him what I got, he proceeds to play through the entire hole counting everything out that I hit and where it was.

What started to get to me, is that he'll never finish a putt out. If it's still 1 foot out, he'll call it a gimmie, or ask if it's a gimmie. I'll usually say no, but got to the point where I said sure. His brother in law, will suck up to him, and tell him it's good. Only those two dolts don't think a "gimmie" still counts as a putting stroke!

What got me, was when he'll burn the edges and since the greens were so fast, it'd be 2-3 past it easy on a tap.. He'd jump to the other side, hit it before it goes well past, and run it by again.. When it misses, he scoops it up with the putter and walks off.. Calls it a gimmie that the last two strokes didn't count.

Plus, they are just content with a long drive contest to be honest.. They could do that for cheap on the driving range for all I cared.

I think I'm done.. I'll give it a few weeks before I play with him again. I won't play with him when his brother in law is playing. I can't refrain myself and wanting to be polite just because his brother in law is there. I'm too childish to keep myself from making remarks about what tickles his sister's(and his brother in laws wife) fancy... ;)

I'll stick to playing as a single, or playing with my normal buddy. I want to play golf, and thats all we do.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have mentioned this before but what the hell, I don't mind playing with 1 guy from my work but his cousin who comes along everytime is a complete ass & I can't stand how much he shaves off his score. I'm not talking 1 or 2 strokes or the occasional gimme putt, but rather the standing in the tall crap & topping the ball 3-4-5 times & claiming only 1 shot.

Even then I wouldn't care because it's his game & I don't give a shit what he claims on his card. But he always wants to compare scores & then wants to brag about beating one of us or at least keeping it close.

Last time that happened was earlier this year, sometime in may I think. I actually tore up my score card on the 5th hole & refused to keep score just so I didn't have to listen to him.

jdub

Sep 23, 2009
i don't play with people who act like golf is just a playground with not wait times

I had a guy spend literly 10 minutes finding his ball and we are waiting to hit... my father comes down and said something to them(not nice)... 10 minute wait to tee off and they jumped ahead of us and slowed us down for 3 holes

but they packed up on the 17th hole and went home lol

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Even then I wouldn't care because it's his game & I don't give a shit what he claims on his card. But he always wants to compare scores & then wants to brag about beating one of us or at least keeping it close.

Thats the part that irks me the most. If someone feels good for cheating themselves and wanting to shave the strokes and play it how they want, then do it.

But please, just keep your mouth shut. Nothing makes it worse than not playing it to the rules, and then bragging when you won, or did well.

That, and when he claims that we aren't taking drop from putting it in a yellow staked hazard?? We aren't? Your the first one in there, so we are for the record! Get your ball out of there and take your drop/stroke.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I hear ya FC, one of the guys I play with a lot is like that. Super competitive, always telling me after each hole which of us is ahead and by how many strokes. But then he'll hit one just barely OB, find it, move it back into play and announce, I found it so I don't have to take a stroke! Oh really? The funny thing is, he could beat me by a couple of strokes playing by the rules, but he'd rather say he beat me by 5 strokes scoring his way. I've just taken to keeping a separate score card, that way at the end of the round, I know who really won. I just keep it to myself when I know I actually won and he is crowing about how he won by 2 strokes.

Funny thing is, he didn't start doing this until I started keeping my drives in play and actually beat him a couple of times. As long as he was smoking me by 5-8 strokes he was playing it by the rule book, :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Regarding "gimmies," just tell the dude every stroke counts as he plays his ball through to the back of the hole, just like when you're were dating his wife... ;)

Serioulsy though, either don't care or don't play. My dad has a creative way of scoring that used to drive me nuts but once I stopped caring it doesn't bother me anymore. Whether I'm playing with him, or buddies, I just keep my own score and don't give a rats arse to what anybody else shoots. I also don't play against my buddies for this same reason. I enjoy golf and my buddies too much to let either ruin the other for me.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I've learned who among my friends plays like that, and I just stopped keeping score when with them. When he asked about it I told him "I don't understand that 'new math' you use when scoring, so I just assume you're gonna shoot par instead of trying to subtract it all up."

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have played with a few people that score like this...

I just don't keep score(on a scorecard anyway) while i am playing them. That way when he shoots par on the same hole he put 3 in the woods on, i can tell him awesome, i'm not keeping score today. That pretty much beats them at their own game. No one to compete with means no one to beat.

Same person who got an ace on a 350yd par 4. Now, it does have a bend and honestly its reachable with a 300yd drive over some trees. I have NEVER witnessed this person drive the ball further than about 250 downhill. Not saying its impossible, i'm just saying.

Same person who claims to me last month he drove the ball 350 uphill into the wind...listen, the hole is 350 yards to the green, not 450. So when you are at the 100 yard marker after the drive thats approx 250 not 350. Subtraction, try it sometime.

i just try to have fun and play my game and never put money on rounds with these people. Hell, i never put money on golf anyway...i suck. I know i suck, but i don't blatantly cheat obvious rules of golf.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I play 3 kinds of golf:

1- Tournement golf. We all know what this means. We watch each other's swings and drops, and compare scores after every hole. No going on until we all agree on the scores.

2- Golf for money. I rarely play this, as I have no desire to get killed by some drunk ******* who has a .357 Magnum in his golf bag, over a $10 Nassau. I think this is where cheating is rampant.

3- Recreational golf. I don't give a crap what you shoot. I only care that I'm outside on a nice day, walking on a beautiful green fairway, trying my best to hit Hoganesque laser irons to the greens. The only score I might make that I will remember is if I beat my own course record.

"Remember to stop and smell the roses."

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
If we ever go play I'm gonna shoot 5 under with 17 bogeys just to screw with you :D

Thats okay with me... I'm trained in holding back and not wrapping my 3-iron around peoples heads. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.