• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

playing with someone better than you?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The last time I played with someone a lot better than me was when VTdivot sandbagged his way into my wallet.:laugh:

On the other hand, I've played in a skins game at my local muni with some pretty good players, and it was frustrating, but at the same time enlightening. I knew I couldn't drive with them (and they made everyone play from the tips) so I focused on course management. Didn't win any money, but made 7 pars, which is more than usual for me (especially from the tips).

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
United States United States
I love playing with players better than me.. During the summer we usually play with the same guys, just in different groups to change it up a bit. When I play with someone better than me, it makes me concentrate harder, and do my best to better them (very competitive). But when it comes to any tournament, I just apply myself to beating the course and not who I am playing with.

EDIT: DaGris, that picture is beautiful haha.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I sometimes "feel" like I'm playing worse when playing with someone better than me. It all comes down to consistancy for me. Every "better" player I've played with, I have some aspect of my game I've been "better" than them potential wise. That's usually driving distance or wedge game. What's a real kick in arse is when I play with a guy I can outdrive with a 3iron yet he shoots 10strokes better. :laugh:

Playing with players that are worse has the opposite effect. Thats usually on easier courses so I'll feel like I'm playing pretty darn good when in fact I'm still at 84-85, just seems good against 103.

Overall I've had a better time playing with guys of my ability and worse. I hate playing with players who "think" they are good and get all pissed off over missing a few shots. I've played with a few guys, one recently in FL, who were very anal about putting. They want you to mark your ball when it's not even remotely close to thier line and take forever lining it up and checking the "other" side of the hole... then the a$$ will 3 putt it, swear up storm and throw the putter or something. It's like "dude, if you were that good you'd have hit that approach a whole lot closer".
icon10.gif

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I play with someone better than me I usually play better. Well, as long as they aren't WAY better than me. If I feel like I'm holding them up I start trying to hard and will mess up even worse. But, if I play with someone a worse than me it messes me up. If I have to wait for them to hit 3 shots to get to where my drive went, by them time its my turn to hit again I seem to have lost my stroke or rythym? I'm sure it goes back to my course management and mental game. I really need to work on that more than anything else. But right now, I have to get in a rythym or my game falls apart. That being said, the best round I've ever played was with a guy who was so much better than me, but he was great about talking me through my shots, giving me little tips but not being an a$$ about it. I wish I could play with him again, but I lost his number.

🔥 Latest posts