• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Please help me pick shaft flex.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Well I finally found a place that sells the driver I like for my price range. Edwin Watts sells the Callaway ERC Fusion for $150 and it is available in the RCH System 55 shaft (which I hear plays whippy.) It is available in regular and firm flex and my driver swing speed is a slow 86mph. So now to my question which shaft flex do you think would be better for me? The regular? Or firn? Thanks.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Do you consider your "tempo" fast, average or slow? How far do your drives go and is the flight high, medium or low? Also what do you hit for a driver now? Maybe the other guys can jump in after you give us this info.

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Well I can tell you what driver im hitting but you'll have never heard of it its called the Tour X MG440. Paid $150 for my enitre set new. It sucks because I am 15 been golfing since I can remember my current handicap is 6 but cant even come close to affording a decent set of clubs so if anyone wants to donate to the get me a decent set of clubs fund is more than welcome to. Well enough of my misfourtanes my tempo is average and currently my drives go about 250 but with a low boring trajectory and I would like to have a higher ball fligh. So im gonna go medium height. Thansk

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I don't think you can go wrong with a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65 in regular flex. The Grafalloy's play stiffer then normal regular flex and this will give you a higher ball flight. Pretty safe shaft to use. It's also a common "option" on many drivers. Edwin Watts might even stick one in for you.

Works for me.

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
But my question is will they stick one in for free? That I doubt and I can't afford anymore than the club itself with the stock shaft.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Can you hit em? If so, do it. If not, do you think your swing speed will increase in the next few years. If you're growing and plan on swinging a little harder, go for the firm. If you've topped out at 86, opt for the regular. JMO. Neal

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The ProLaunch in regular plays stiff because of the stiff tip. It's like something between a regular and stiff and if his swingspeed picked up it would still be okay.

Edwin Watts might put one in for you for nothing if you ask. They want to sell clubs.

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Ill e mail Edwin Watts and see if they will do that for me. I will be swinging harder as I am still growing my SS probably wont top out for another 5 years. Thanks

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Well I emailed them about 3 hours ago and they said that all emails are replied to within 2 hours so im wondering if it went through ill give it a while and then try again.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Have you had your speed checked recently, and are you certain your speed or distance are both accurate? It seems like, specifically with a lower ball flight, if you hit a driver 250 that your speed may in fact be higher than 86mph. Just guessing based on statistics that it may be closer to 100 and make a big difference on the type of shaft.

Roughly speaking, 1mph usually accounts for 2.5 yards on a normal trajectory, with a low ball flight it would probably account for less with a speed of 86mph, unless you play on dry ground and get a ton of roll. Again, just something that stood out. If you cannot demo the clubs to see the results, make sure your speed is accurate.

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Because the ERC Fusion is a 2004 club its hard to find a place to demo it. I did have my SS calculated in early July when I was demoing the R7 Quad my distance may be a little off it may be closer to 225 but I am not certain. Maybe i'll try to call them but ill drop them another email first. Thanks for your help I will keep you posted.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
warbirdlover said:
The ProLaunch in regular plays stiff because of the stiff tip. It's like something between a regular and stiff and if his swingspeed picked up it would still be okay.

Your data on the MIG is inaccurate.

The ProLaunch is not tip stiff. It actually has a soft tip, or low kick as some call it. Either way it is a shaft designed to help get the ball airborne

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Your data on the MIG is inaccurate.

The ProLaunch is not tip stiff. It actually has a soft tip, or low kick as some call it. Either way it is a shaft designed to help get the ball airborne

Yep, this is spot on.

The Blue and NT are stiff tip.

R35

OP
15andlife

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Still waiting on a reply back maybe ill get it tommorow either that or I will call them.

🔥 Latest posts