• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Point/Counterpoint: Mediate and Trevino Dish on Long Putter

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
a4.bp.blogspot.com__zQ9bHkYH5h4_UYDbANmOnfI_AAAAAAAAGA4_l4ZyoLcWJPg_s320_RoccoMediate.jpg
Rocco Mediate (Allison)​
I SAW THESE RECENT COMMENTS on the long putter/belly putter from Champions Tour rookie Rocco Mediate and Hall of Famer Lee Trevino.

First, Rocco.

"Here's what I think—and sums it up. If it was the answer, if it makes it easier to putt, why isn’t everybody using one?

"I don’t think it's an advantage," Mediate added. "You still have to make the putter move. The USGA can make rules. I will always abide by them … I don't know if it's warranted."

Believe it or not, Mediate is actually using a conventional-length putter at the moment. He starting using the long putter nearly 20 years ago due to chronic back issues. "It was all about (the back) for me, not the yips," he said. "I became quite efficient with it but it takes a long time."

After struggling on the greens at the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf, Trevino put a belly putter (TaylorMade Ghost model) in play for the first time ever. Here were his comments, before and after.

"I had the yips so badly with that little putter yesterday that I thought I had bleeding ulcers," Trevino said. "My belly was burning up so much that I thought I had eaten some jalapeno peppers.

"Now I see why they want to make this one illegal. It's like cheating. I swear to God. This is the easiest thing I've ever seen to putt with, is that belly putter."

afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: Point/Counterpoint: Mediate and Trevino Dish on Long Putter

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I disagree with Trevino's view that it's "easy". The use of the word 'easy' in the same sentence as 'golf' rankles me. Nothing is easy about the game of golf; repeat - nothing. Similarly, about golf courses. There's no such thing as an "easy" course. Everything about the game of golf is challenging. It's just a matter of degree. I think that Trevino's view is colored by a hidden agenda (ie. opposition to anchored putting).

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I disagree with Trevino's view that it's "easy". The use of the word 'easy' in the same sentence as 'golf' rankles me. Nothing is easy about the game of golf; repeat - nothing. Similarly, about golf courses. There's no such thing as an "easy" course. Everything about the game of golf is challenging. It's just a matter of degree. I think that Trevino's view is colored by a hidden agenda (ie. opposition to anchored putting).
well it sure is easy for me to duff a shot

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I wonder if Lee used the belly putter past the honeymoon phase. I've had a few clubs I hit great for about a week. The next week I couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

I'm with Rocco on this one.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The USGA and the R&A state that they want it to look like a golf swing. On a short putter you rock your shoulders and bring the hands back and through. On a belly putter you rock your shoulders and bring your hands back and through. What's the problem. There are far bigger problems in golf than this. Slow play for a big one.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The USGA and the R&A state that they want it to look like a golf swing. On a short putter you rock your shoulders and bring the hands back and through. On a belly putter you rock your shoulders and bring your hands back and through. What's the problem. There are far bigger problems in golf than this. Slow play for a big one.
Couldnt agree more

🔥 Latest posts