• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Poor Etiquette?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Went to the local executive 9-holer for a quick lunch round. The starter put me with 3 guys who were doing the same thing, and were all cool people. They had bets going for all kinds of stuff, none of which involved me. We made small talk during the round... like I said, they were all decent guys.

On the last hole (par 3) one guy asked me if I wanted to get in on a $5 KP with two of them. I said sure, why not. Well, I was closest to the pin. One guy paid up immediately, the other guy hesitated, after the round seemed like he really didn't want to pay me. He finally did, and we all shook hands and left.

Should I have declined the money? I had no other bets going on with these guys, and to all of a sudden (with one shot, even) snatch $5 from their wallets... I felt kinda bad after I had some time to think about it.

Faux pas, or justifiable?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
They watched you play 8 holes, and then asked you to join in on the 9th. IMHO the poor etiquette was the guy who was slow paying up.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Okay, good. It's been a long time since I did any kind of "betting" on golf like that, so I was unsure. I think he was extra pissed because not only did he miss the green entirely, but he also lost all the other bets they had going. Ha!

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
This brings up a silly question that I've had for a long time. Why is it "KP" instead of "CP" ????

Noonan

May 11, 2010
a bet's a bet... you did fine. The guy not paying up is a sore looser.

🔥 Latest posts