• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Portsalon GC - A Hidden Gem

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
JUst came back from a golfing weekend at a place called Portsalon in Donegal. What a course!! It was a founding member of the Golfing Union of Ireland and dates back to 1891. A traditional links style course measuring a testing 6,600 off the back tees. I have to say that some of the holes were breathtaking, including the 2nd, a stunning 460 yard par 4 dogleg requiring a carry over a beach and then a second shot to carry over a wide river!!! Even the green was a Biatch!! Some of the holes reminded me of the front nine of Carnoustie, wish I had brought the camera!

The course has seen some recent changes and with the help of Pat Ruddy, there are now some very fine holes indeed.

And the bizzare thing is that the green fees were only about €25, probably due to the fact that it is a bit remote. Unfortunately they had just hollowtined and sanded the greens but even then they gave us a 20% discount, not many clubs would have offered that.

Mind you there were 40 of us, the majority of whom were more concerned at the breadth of drink being offered at the bar!!! So I'm sure they made that money back and a lot more at the 19th hole!!

Anyway, if any of you are heading in the direction of Donegal, don't miss out on this gem. A Golfing correspondent was once asked about his favorite course in Great Britain and Ireland. He said that although he had covered all the top courses he would quite happily spend the rest of his golfing days at Portsalon. It was eveything he could ask of a course.

I certainly will look forward to going back there some day!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
JUst came back from a golfing weekend at a place called Portsalon in Donegal. What a course!! It was a founding member of the Golfing Union of Ireland and dates back to 1891. A traditional links style course measuring a testing 6,600 off the back tees. I have to say that some of the holes were breathtaking, including the 2nd, a stunning 460 yard par 4 dogleg requiring a carry over a beach and then a second shot to carry over a wide river!!! Even the green was a Biatch!! Some of the holes reminded me of the front nine of Carnoustie, wish I had brought the camera!

The course has seen some recent changes and with the help of Pat Ruddy, there are now some very fine holes indeed.

And the bizzare thing is that the green fees were only about €25, probably due to the fact that it is a bit remote. Unfortunately they had just hollowtined and sanded the greens but even then they gave us a 20% discount, not many clubs would have offered that.

Mind you there were 40 of us, the majority of whom were more concerned at the breadth of drink being offered at the bar!!! So I'm sure they made that money back and a lot more at the 19th hole!!

Anyway, if any of you are heading in the direction of Donegal, don't miss out on this gem. A Golfing correspondent was once asked about his favorite course in Great Britain and Ireland. He said that although he had covered all the top courses he would quite happily spend the rest of his golfing days at Portsalon. It was eveything he could ask of a course.

I certainly will look forward to going back there some day!

I'll keep it on my list of courses to play when I come to Eireland. I wish I had made that trip years ago, before the course owners figured out that there were a lot stupid Americans that would actually pay $250 for a round of golf. BTW, how have you and that Tour Exotics driver gotten on? Or is it in someone else's bag now?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Didn't you see my review? I love it but interestingly my FiL doesn't think I hit it as well as my 983K. Interested in the 905R with V2 shaft and possible the Hi Bore with an Accuflex shaft. But no planning to 'Ho until next season.

(Yeah right!!!)

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
This was a topic that came up when myself and IG met a few weeks ago. Ireland north and south is full of these hidden gems. It's unfortunate but any of these golfing packages (for whatever reasons) seem to steer the punter in the direction of the expensive - and not necessarily best courses (who said K Club)

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk isn't a bad starting point, as reviews are provided by "real" golfers many of which are from the far side of the pond. Pat Ruddy is an exceptional designer of links courses

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Managed to get some pics off the web.

Check out the 2nd hole, the image on the left. It's even more difficult than it looks at 460 yards. The picture is taken from the tee. You can try and cut off the carry but its about 240 yards to the fairway. The picture doesn't show the bail out to the right, but that makes it into a 3 shotter, as the river is about 20 yards short of the green.

We played it into a wind and I hit my best drive of the day to carry the digleg and then screamed a 5 iron to the green. Needless to say I played like an arse the rest of the day!!!

The course also boasts some double greens. The pic on the right is the 4th and 9th greens combined.
portsalon2.jpg
portsalon1.jpg

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
I'm gonna chalk it in the book IG, yer sayso is good enough for me - Murvagh and Ballyliffin/Glashedy would make a nice thressome so to speak ...

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm gonna chalk it in the book IG, yer sayso is good enough for me - Murvagh and Ballyliffin/Glashedy would make a nice thressome so to speak ...

Count me in for that trip! The other cracker is Rosepenna New. Supposed to be the hardest track going in Ireland these days. Played with a Scottish friend who plays off 0.0!!!! and he played it a few weeks ago and described it as BRUTAL!!! :eek: He played Portstewart on the same trip and thought it was tame compared to that!!!

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Pat Ruddy: Living Legend :)

Must get over and play that track at some point soon. Loads top courses over in that direction, too. We can get to most within an hour with the help of a ferry, so its all good..:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Managed to get some pics off the web.

Check out the 2nd hole, the image on the left. It's even more difficult than it looks at 460 yards. The picture is taken from the tee. You can try and cut off the carry but its about 240 yards to the fairway. The picture doesn't show the bail out to the right, but that makes it into a 3 shotter, as the river is about 20 yards short of the green.

We played it into a wind and I hit my best drive of the day to carry the digleg and then screamed a 5 iron to the green. Needless to say I played like an arse the rest of the day!!!

The course also boasts some double greens. The pic on the right is the 4th and 9th greens combined.

Those look like a couple of gorgeous golf holes.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Just noticed IG that the New Course Headfort came in once place behind The K Club .. sorta speaks for itself

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Beautiful.

I have never been anywhere. :(

So are you guys tripping over Americans now? Do you recognize us by how fat and obnoxious we are? How friendly are the Irish towards Americans? If I were to have a beer in a pub one evening, would anyone understand what I was saying? Would I understand them? Do you have Kentucky Fried Chicken?

🔥 Latest posts