• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Positive Exposure for Golf

SvenNZ

Happily Addicted
Apr 1, 2009
Before I start I'm not running Tiger down. IMO he's one of the top 5 supreme athletes / sportspeople in the world today. What I have an issue with is the fact that he's taking $3m in appearance fees to go to Australia for a tournament. Imagine the spin off if he reduced this fee and then donated it to junior golf in that region or even to charities supporting victims of the bushfires that affected Australia. With the rest of the world struggling with recession and golf sponsorship likely to suffer he could acknowledge Pres. Obama's comments in regard to 'corporate greed' by making a huge statement. I'm not saying he should refuse appearance money as he's well worth the asking price but he could give something back that would result in hugely positive world wide exposure for golf.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Interesting first post.

First, welcome aboard!

Second, neither of us has any idea how tiger spends his money but I do know quite a lot of it goes to his foundation.... http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/

He may pocket the appearance fees but I doubt it, he certainly doesn't need to.

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
It's his money. Screw what he does with it. Do you donate a chunk of your salary to charity? And I don't mean buying girl scout cookies.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am guessing he does far more with his money than most people would even imagine.

A similar issue came up with Jim Calhoun at UConn towards the end of the season when a person asked him in a press conference about how he felt making 1.5 million when most of the state employees were suffering. He first said he made far more than 1.5 million, then preceded to explain that his program brings in 12 million. I think Tiger is responsible for far more and likely give far more back. I am also guessing Calhoun will have far more on his mind after the entire Nate Miles ordeal and may be having to explain were much of his money is going in the off season. If your performance can demand that kind of money, I think it is the people that are responsible for making it possible that I would question. If it is that rough with Australia, I would have to wonder if the people sponsoring or funding the tournament and the networks are not the ones to ask if they have issue with provide such funding. I think the key is, without giving enough to attract Tiger, will they still make as much of a draw. Without providing such, would anyone fault Tiger for not going??? Although I am not really a big fan of Tiger, I couldn't fault him in knowing he could demand that elsewhere and puts the money to good use. Overpaid athletes in the end will always fall back on the fans who watch and pay to see, and the reason I no longer watch MLB but don't fault people who still do.

Pretty funny interview with Calhoun if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokthY5zuPU

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I will put my 2cents in like this...

He puts WAY more money into charity than i do(even if were talking percentages of total income i would be willing to bet)...so i dont have any room to talk.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
By them paying him $3m... they are going to make triple what they would have for local charities and such just by getting him to show up.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I will put my 2cents in like this...

He puts WAY more money into charity than i do(even if were talking percentages of total income i would be willing to bet)...so i dont have any room to talk.

Werd. In terms of total dollars rather than percentages, I'd guess he gives more to charity than the combined income of everyone on this forum.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Werd. In terms of total dollars rather than percentages, I'd guess he gives more to charity than the combined income of everyone on this forum.

Not bashing Tiger, but there comes a point where you are making way more than you need or can spend. At that point it makes it much easier to donate to charities. Tiger or any of the top players on the tour can afford to donate much more than any of us could percentage wise.

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
It's not OUR place to judge what is "enough" money. Like mentioned before, by him showing up to this game, it'll open the possibility of more $ in charities hand. I think Tiger does enough with the charities he's involved in and the positive exposure that he already brings to golf.

Why is everyone on this guys nuts lately? Geez.

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
I am guessing he does far more with his money than most people would even imagine.

A similar issue came up with Jim Calhoun at UConn towards the end of the season when a person asked him in a press conference about how he felt making 1.5 million when most of the state employees were suffering. He first said he made far more than 1.5 million, then preceded to explain that his program brings in 12 million. I think Tiger is responsible for far more and likely give far more back. I am also guessing Calhoun will have far more on his mind after the entire Nate Miles ordeal and may be having to explain were much of his money is going in the off season. If your performance can demand that kind of money, I think it is the people that are responsible for making it possible that I would question. If it is that rough with Australia, I would have to wonder if the people sponsoring or funding the tournament and the networks are not the ones to ask if they have issue with provide such funding. I think the key is, without giving enough to attract Tiger, will they still make as much of a draw. Without providing such, would anyone fault Tiger for not going??? Although I am not really a big fan of Tiger, I couldn't fault him in knowing he could demand that elsewhere and puts the money to good use. Overpaid athletes in the end will always fall back on the fans who watch and pay to see, and the reason I no longer watch MLB but don't fault people who still do.

Pretty funny interview with Calhoun if you haven't seen it yet.

Although I agree with Calhoun firing back.....(hell Calipari just got 4 mil a year)....there were SEVERAL inaccurate things that he said. The money that he talked about is a bit skewed. I don't quite remember to what extent because it's been several weeks, but Calhoun wasn't quite accurate.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Tiger and most all the other rich athletes support good causes that might not otherwise survive. They're all saints. :)

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Tiger and most all the other rich athletes support good causes that might not otherwise survive. They're all saints. :)

No, they aren't but the money that is brought in because of people tuning and and watching or going to the events are distributed different ways. This is an extreme type of example but I'll try and explain it

Tiger gets 3 mil. He donates a portion.....not much in his world, but let's say 2%. That means he has just donated $60,000. The money that is brought in through television, radio, other investors, etc (everyone that makes SOME form of money on it) has just increased because more people will tune in and be interested in Tiger. Not to mention the sales of Nike that increases because someone sees a new shirt or a new club he's using. Now, I know Nike has the sweatshops in 3rd world countries etc...blah blah blah....but for the most part, the more money that is brought in, the more that is contributed on other peoples/companies parts. That 2% that got donated by Tiger now, looks a lot bigger with the addition of small contributions here and there.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Although I agree with Calhoun firing back.....(hell Calipari just got 4 mil a year)....there were SEVERAL inaccurate things that he said. The money that he talked about is a bit skewed. I don't quite remember to what extent because it's been several weeks, but Calhoun wasn't quite accurate.
Not sure I can really blame him for not being entirely accurate. After all, they were there to talk about the game when the question just popped out of nowhere. I would tend to believe had he known it was going to happen he would have had exact figures, which sadly should have been the responsibility of the person with the agenda that posed the question.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Not bashing Tiger, but there comes a point where you are making way more than you need or can spend. At that point it makes it much easier to donate to charities. Tiger or any of the top players on the tour can afford to donate much more than any of us could percentage wise.

Absolutely. I just think the OP questioning Tiger's taking $3M for appearance rather than making charitable donations is a bit rude to Tiger, because Tiger donates a crapload of money. I'm sure the TWF isn't the only place he hands out money, and that thing alone is enormous. Picking at him for not helping a particular group of people is a bit insensitive to the fact that he's helped over 10 million kids and counting.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
If he brings my package from Phoenix, AZ with him then I don't mind what he gets.

But if he doesn't....... :killersmiley:

Appearance fees are a given in major sports these days. They do donate a lot to charity and their appearance also helps out sponsors and the like so its all win-win.

'Nuff said.

🔥 Latest posts