• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Possibly the worst day ever

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Man, I played horrible today and lost big time. To start, my boss says "just jump on my cart" as everyone else was riding, so there was $18 down the drain. Apparently he wanted me to just sneak on riding but I wasn't cool with that.

Then we played an 11 man team plus stableford match. I thought I was in for $15 but turns out at the end it was $25. I got behind early and tried to catch up by ripping driver. I put a bunch out there but the bomb and gouge strategy backfired as all I did was get a bunch of short wedge shots from terrible lies. Eventually all that big swinging infected the rest of my game. I started $hanking irons all over the place and shot 101.

The only positive is that my handicap got setup today. The pro said that they only will accept scores that someone signed my card for. So now I got an 89 and a 101. Next week these poor ba$tards will have to play me off about 20. My driver is cracked and that's all for it, I'm taking it out of the bag until I get a replacement anyway. So I think I'm going to put my old 50* wedge in the bag instead of driver.

I left the course today wondering if I ever wanted to play again. Might have been the least fun I've ever had on a golf course.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
101???? 101???? With your skill and expertise?? Let's see...

Bogey golf is a 90. That's almost a stroke a hole over bogey. You could have hit driver, putter, putter, putter, putter on Par 4's and shot bogey golf!!! Sounds to me like you were just trying to card a high score for a sandbagger 'cap!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't be too disappointed if you have to ditch the driver for a while. Stenson hit 3-wood all day on Sunday. Tiger hit his 3-wood when he couldn't find the fairway with his driver. Michelson didn't even bag a driver at a recent U.S. Open. And, look at those "trophy wives". On second thought, I may ditch my driver... and my wife of 43 years. Surely, I can find an "atrophying trophy" at the local nursing home.... about WBL's and my age!! Stenson even had a lady to carry his bag for him. He didn't need to pay $18 bucks to ride on his boss's cart. Of course, the speeding ticket he got leaving the course set him back more than the $18 bucks you spent on a cart!!!:bang:

There WILL be better days ahead!!!!!

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
It's an evil game Ez, from 79 to 101 in the blink of an eye......great thing about this game is that tomorrow you'll be ready to go again. Driver being broke maybe just what you need. Good luck monana:laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I forgot to mention I'm playing in a tournament tomorrow as well. When I left the course at 3:30 we were one of only 11 or 12 4man teams signed up for it. I'm going in as a 15 cap and my boss an 18. We'll have his son and another guy as well. First place will be a $500 pro shop credit I heard. I'm sure that gets split 4ways though. Definitely no driver for me tomorrow. Oh and it's a member 3guest tournament. They let me slide because I just officially joined today and they are also pretty short on people. So, basically 3 of the members should be pretty unfamiliar with the course. We got my boss's son who has played there many times and one of the big whigs from another private course, AlpineCC and he was a member at Valley for years prior. Coming in off 16 to boot.

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
Sounds like you got caught up in trying to rip it and forgot about course management and how holes set up and where you want to be for pin placements. Don't worry it happens to the best of us!!!

On a good note the next time you play and the guys ask what you shot last you say 101 and get a bunch of strokes!!

Have fun tomorrow at the tourney.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Ez, just from my casual observation (reading your post) you live and die by the tee ball. I'm the same, if I'm hitting the tee ball well and getting myself in the fairway then I usually play a decent round, if not, I'm screwed. Hard to make yourself "lay up" off of the tee when driver, 3W aren't working on any given day. Guess that's where knowing your game and course management come into play. You'll figure it out and then loose it again....just the nature of the beast....keeps this crazy game interesting and frustrating at the same time......in the end, just make sure you're having fun.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I might go play 9 before the tournament to get yesterday out of my system. I think I should bring my driver in the house. I can outdrive my boss and most of the time his son with my 3W so might be able to take the longest drive with 3W. Definitely have a better chance of hitting the fairway. I did it again yesterday with the driver. 359yd. hole on scorecard, hit it pin high left in the rough, past the greenside bunker by 5yds.. Then coming uphill on 331, playing a yard from off the back of the teebox. I hit it literally a foot short of a pond that is left of the green. That one wouldn't have made the green but a chip had I hit it online. Need to eventually harness this power. I don't know where it came from. I worked on my pivot and just setup for a draw, more in to out path.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I don't feel so bad now, I hit 9 fairways and had 35 putts on my way to a 102!:real angry:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I'm over it now. I'll go out there and just have fun today. I can't expect to be playing super-consistant with the swing I have. I know well enough what it's problems are. I was getting too flat at the top again yesterday, throwing out and then getting steep. I'll get it back on track. We have a pro and an assistant pro at the course. I might try a lesson with one of them. I wish I could track down that old guy from Triggs though.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Just remember those swing changes you made the other day that got you crushing them so well. You probably just let yourself get sloppy on doing those things or were overswinging. It takes awhile to "ingrain" them. :)

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, I'm over it now. I'll go out there and just have fun today. I can't expect to be playing super-consistant with the swing I have. I know well enough what it's problems are. I was getting too flat at the top again yesterday, throwing out and then getting steep. I'll get it back on track. We have a pro and an assistant pro at the course. I might try a lesson with one of them. I wish I could track down that old guy from Triggs though.

Ya gotta go with what's working. We get all wrapped up in banging the driver/3W....I mean it's fun right....but hitting driver-lob wedge is the same as hitting 7 iron- 9 iron....it's not as fun and not as sexy, but it'll for sure get the job done......I need to take my own fricken advice.... Here's something fun to try on a slow day at the course...play the whole normal and then go back to the tee box and play it with just a 9 iron....I've done it and shot a bogey using both methods....except I even putted with the 9.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, we came in 4th in the tournament. I contributed a few pars but no birdies. Shot 89 and played the same ball all day at least, lol. My 3W was not so great off the tee but nailed a few drives deep. I think I was setting up like I do with driver using 3W because I literally topped it twice off the tee. My chipping and pitching is coming around very well. I'll be scoring at this course in another month or so.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.