• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

potentially stupid question about driver face angles...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
We often see standard and tour models where the std will have a 1* closed face and the tour model a 2-3* open face angle. I'm someone that actually uses the grip logo to set my grip so can I accomplish the same closed/open effect by adjusting how my club sits when my logo is "square" (for lack of a better word)? Or, is there something actually different in the build of the head that causes an open/close face angle regardless of rotating the shaft in your hands?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
All depends on the internal weighting I would have thought.The stronger player wants or needs an open face because they hit so hard coming down the face cand sometimes close a littel early due to the power in the swing

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Potentially stupid answer... the club heads are "made" with the face angle. Adjusting the grip to close or open the face would be doing something "different"... :D

When you buy a club from Lyle he'll ask you if you want a him to hand select a specific face angle (before he builds the club). It's built in... :)

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Potentially stupid answer... the club heads are "made" with the face angle. Adjusting the grip to close or open the face would be doing something "different"... :D

I should've counted on a response like that. ;)

Seriously though, do manufacturers just align the grip a little different, slap in a better shaft (sometimes), stamp "Tour", and charge $50-100+ more?

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
All depends on the internal weighting I would have thought.The stronger player wants or needs an open face because they hit so hard coming down the face cand sometimes close a littel early due to the power in the swing

The internal weighting and face angle can be independent of each other. I'm looking specifically at Cally FT-3 drivers and they come in six variations; Tour and Std each with internal weighting for Draw, Neutral, or Fade.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I'm aware they are independant,I meant that opening the face with a heel weighted head MAY play totally different to a club with an open face.I dunno,I have surpassed the limits of my foolishness again.Maybe the resident mad Canadian will step in

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm aware they are independant,I meant that opening the face with a heel weighted head MAY play totally different to a club with an open face.I dunno,I have surpassed the limits of my foolishness again.Maybe the resident mad Canadian will step in

I'm usually in over my head the moment I log-in! :laugh:

To me though it seems counter productive to have an open-draw biased head or a closed-fade biased head. Who knows, maybe it is the best of both worlds and the club just magically knows which to use for any given swing. :D

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its all about commitment.Have a fade biased club and KNOW it will fade measn you can hit hard and not worry on the tee.Imo,its got more to do with committment than it has the actual shape of shot

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Its all about commitment.Have a fade biased club and KNOW it will fade measn you can hit hard and not worry on the tee.Imo,its got more to do with committment than it has the actual shape of shot

So you're telling me that this is about me having commitment issues?! :laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
LOl,married for 17 years and still going strong,so er,no,commitment is not a problem

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
LOl,married for 17 years and still going strong,so er,no,commitment is not a problem

Maybe we should get you committed to the looney bin, FOOL. (smiley left off at the request of the above poster)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ah,but one-woman-moral-bliss is second behind a good session at the range in terms of what life is all about,that and beer.

Posting without smileys cleanses the soul

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I should've counted on a response like that. ;)

Seriously though, do manufacturers just align the grip a little different, slap in a better shaft (sometimes), stamp "Tour", and charge $50-100+ more?

The face is actually shut, square or open. The toe is further forward than the heel in a closed face driver. I like the face slightly open because the ballflight is a slight fade every time. Predictable. I have to try to hold a shut face open to fade it, with the open I just take it up straight up the left side and don't even think about it, just swing. I have the 13* 3w if I want to try a draw.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Square, closed or open is how the club sits if you place the sole of the club on the ground without manipulating it. A toe'd in driver is toe'd in however you manipulate the grip. By squaring the face your just moving the hosel forward.

🔥 Latest posts