• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PowerPerformanceGolf PPG, i.e. Don Trahan ad

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
For the past week or two Sling has had the Don Trahan "Swing Surgeon" video series advertisement as a link on the website. This is not a SPAM post as it is an actual link on this site.

I clicked the link and watched some sample videos and was quite interested. So I Googled to find out more about it. Someone over on FGI that I respect had a discussion about this system starting back in June.

Everything anyone mentioned on that post was positive about the Trahan system. Moreover, they said that you actually do get the email videos for free with no obligation. On top of that, they had links to the actual 10 days of videos, so I didn't have to wait 10 days. PLUS, there was a link to a 1/2 off offer that the link still works.

It was a very informative thread.

So I watched the 10 videos. And the other free videos on the site.

I will tell you now, this video series isn't ANYTHING like "normal" instruction. It is incredibly simple and if a pro saw you trying the stuff at the range, he'd almost have an obligation to come over and straighten you out. It is that funky-feeling.

But Trahan's saying is that you'll be playing better golf in only a few buckets at the range. His system is that simple, and fast, to make you a better golfer.

Since I am writing this post, it is pretty obvious that I decided to take this "theory" to the range. His free vids had me hooked and for less than $50 (with the 1/2 off offer) and a complete no questions asked money-back guarantee, why not take a shot?

So I tested his theory and took it to the range.

Let me tell you full disclosure before I go any further. I am a decent player. I have a 2.3 handicap at this time. 2nd lowest in my club. I am in the middle of my best year of golf having shot a 68, 2 69's and a 70 this year. At the end of July, I shot 1-over on Saturday of my club championship and was tied for the lead going into Sunday's round. I couldn't hit a driver on Sunday, I punched out 7 times, and shot 77 to finish a shot out of a playoff.

I have two tourneys coming up, this weekend and next weekend.

So why not a change? LOL!

Back to my story.....

I took what I had learned to the range. I "learned" the swing with the first 30 balls or so. Just how it felt.

Just like that, I was hitting nothing but straight balls. An occasional push or pull, but just straight. Time after time.

I hit 3 buckets that day. 240 balls. 30 were learning. About 20 more during the course of the day were just attrocious. That leaves about 190 balls struck about perfectly, right at my target. It was unbelievable.

So I came back the next day and hit 80 balls. About 15 were bad with 65 flying right at the target on a straight line. Drivers, wedges, hybrids, 5-irons, it did not matter. Straight, straight, straight.

This Don Trahan is on to something.

My first round last Saturday with my "new swing" was at a course I have never played before. I hit the ball tremendously, as I was expecting, but I just couldn't putt and I put up a terrible number (86). I was thinking that maybe this swing couldn't hold up in an actual round. But as I thought back, every full swing shot I hit was good to great. Not knowing where to aim as it was my first time playing the course, I picked a few bad lines, but hit those lines perfectly.

I had one ball I just ROPED down the middle only to never find it. Back to the tee I go. Triple.

So I decided to let it go, chalk it up to experience and I plan on destroying that course the next time I play it now that I know where to aim on the doglegs.

Sunday's round was back at my club with my normal group of about 27 guys. I was 2-under through 5 holes. I eventually made some bad swings etc. but ended up shooting a 4 over 75. Not bad for a "new swing".

So I hit balls yesterday again. And this morning. This afternoon I played 9 holes. 33, 3 under par. And it was a bad 33. 10-footer on my first hole I left on the lip. Next hole couldn't get up and down from 50 yards for birdie. 5th hole I couldn't get up and down for birdie from 30 yards. On a "good day" I could have shot a 30. Yikes.

I hit every green today but one. A 110yard par 3. Ish. 2-putted from the fringe though.

Has anyone else here tried out Don Trahan's system? What are/were your results?

Based on my results thus far, I would totally have to recommend his system.

It is so easy, anyone can do it. It is EXTREMELY easy on your body to do. I haven't even felt close to tired after a round yet since changing to this new swing.

Moreover, it is the only swing that DJ Trahan has ever used or needed. It is a swing that has won on the PGA Tour. That definitely lends some legitimacy to it.

I will update my progress as I continue forth. Any questions, just ask.

I am gearing up for the tournament I have this weekend, so that will REALLY let me know where I'm at with this swing.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading, and click the link at the top of one of the Shottalk pages!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I signed up for the free info too, actually. Don't we always end up in these things together?

After 4 or 5 videos though I kinda lost interest. I did not invest in the full system. Can you PM me the link to all 10 of the videos, though?

At this point I'm trying to figure out what works for me, and ignoring most instructional material. I almost have my iron distance back.

-decided to edit this and be more inquisitive!

August, you're a REALLY good player. If you normally hit 240 balls, what's your ratio like for bad shots/good shots? You're such a golfer that you could probably try any swing and make it work. It sounds like what you're saying is that this swing is very simple. Is it less movement? Are you losing distance on anything? What makes it easy?

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I'm a terrible ball-striker. I got my handicap that low just by being "long" off the tee. And playing a short course. From the white tees at my course I think it's 6200, par 71, 5 par 3's. The shortest par 5 is 480 uphill, into the prevailing, and I can reach all the 5's in two.

The course also has a few short par 4's that I can drive close to, and chip on.

So there are a lot of birdies to be made with my shortgame and I can flat out score on it when my driving is on.

At the range, I usually hit a bucket of 80 balls. I would say 10, TEN!! I actually hit decently during a normal session. Everything included. Driver to wedge. Usually I end up shanking about 3 in a row and the rest of the session is a pull-fest avoiding that.

In other words, my swing is SHAT.

To hit that many good shots using the Trahan swing was remarkable. The target green 130 away was just flooded with my wedge shots. In a "normal" bucket, I might hit 6 on that green. With this swing, EVERY ONE is on that green.

No more time, I'll pick it up later. Google the FGI thread for the links.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I played 18 holes today using the Trahan swing method. I do not have his DVD series; but I picked up the basics of his swing by reading info posted on his website and in the FGI thread. I did not follow his recommendation to hit two buckets of balls before taking it to the course. Even so, I believe the swing does have some merits.

Playing the swing for the first time, with no preparation or practice, I shot a score that was within a couple of strokes of what I usually shoot. The interesting thing is that lost strokes today were not caused by the usual mistakes made with my normal swing. Hitting thin and topping the ball cost me a number of strokes today with the Trahan swing. This occurred mostly in the first few holes played; and I think if I had followed his instructions to hit a couple of buckets at the range first, I wouldn't have had that problem. The most encouraging thing about today is that every stroke I hit today (except for one hook with the driver) went straight. I hooked the driver while trying to play it at full length. After choking down on my grip about 1 1/2 inches, that didn't happen again.

Trahan is a proponent of using a shorter shaft on the driver. I think that may be because it is difficult to follow his recommended swing path with the longer shaft. Interestingly, when I choked down on the shaft, I didn't seem to lose any distance from my normal drives with the full 45" shaft. What I did lose was the normal fade (sometimes slice) that I always fought with my old swing. I have never played a round with as many straight shots as I hit today. That, in itself, is exciting for me...especially, since it was the first time I had used his swing method.

Initially, all my iron shots seemed to be somewhat shorter than normal...straighter, but shorter. This was caused by me striking the ball somewhat tentively with the new swing. As the round progressed, and I became more confident in the swing, my distance returned and the ball flight remained straight. I even had one streak where I parred four successive holes. I don't believe I have ever done that previously.

I know one round is not enough to prove or disprove the value of the Trahan swing; but I honestly believe if I had gone to the range first and been more familiar with the swing that I would have dropped 8-10 strokes from my previous personal best. I am going to stick with the new swing for awhile and see how long the honeymoon lasts. :thumbs up:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm kind of interested in learning more about this Trahan system before I plop down any money. :)

What I need is some more distance. My good drives carry 220 yards and my good 7 irons carry 140 yards.

I'm usually pretty straight, my shortgame is decent, putting varies but is acceptable, but this lack of length is killing me. Will this PPGS get me some more distance?

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I think I clicked the link and watched all of them when sling first put the link on the site. I might have incorperated some of them into my game; I liked most of the way he was explaining things. Very simple to understand and was interesting to watch.

MMajerus

Hacker
Jun 22, 2009
I am trying to learn the swing. I have a lot of bad habits that I picked up trying to correct a very bad conventional swing with a bad back and bad knees. so far things are going OK. starting to get more good solid hits. I am much straighter than in the past. I need to grove the fallow through. I will say this. my back and knees feel great now. I can play 18 and still move when done. more work to do. also the instruction is very easy to understand he and DJ have done a good job of that.

🔥 Latest posts