• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Practice, Pre-shot routine, and Consistency

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
"I think, therefore I drone." CP

Many people, myself included, want to be more consistent. Actually, some of us are incredibly consistent, but it is unfortunately a consistent slice, pull, or whatever. Consistency comes when we are able to repeat our swing, our putting stroke, etc. on different courses, different holes, etc. I think a lot of people are pretty consistent at the driving range, and they just cannot believe that they cannot simply take their driving range game to the course. If only it were that easy.

The typical golfer at the typical practice area or range will hit shot after shot at the same target, with the same club, from the same lie. After a while, he KNOWS this shot, and he gets to hitting them well, but think how different this is from the course game. So at the range, have some of your session involve changing targets, club, lie, etc. on every shot. You might even imagine you are on the first tee at your home course, and play an imaginary round. Now we are making practice more like real play.

Watching professional or good amateur golfers, one cannot help but notice how they go through the same steps before each shot. They are thinking through the shot, but something else is also happening. This routine has been developed and maintained because it has worked thousands of times before. THE FAMILIARITY OF THE ROUTINE, A ROUTINE THAT HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL, BUILDS CONFIDENCE IN US FOR THE SHOT AT HAND.

You cannot go through too many things mentally before making a shot. If you take that long, tension builds up and tension kills our swings. A good preshot routine on the first shot of a hole comes after having decided how that hole will be played taking into consideration hazards, pin placement, wind, etc. Now that it is time to make the shot, we choose the club. Stand behind the ball looking down the hole and visualize the shot until hopefully you can even see the right shot happening in your mind. Move to the side of the ball, put the club square to the target line. Line up your body to that squarely lined up clubface. Relax, feel comfortable, pull the trigger, execute the shot. Perhaps one simple thought on your mind such as "smooth it out there", "nice and easy," or whatever works for you. It is always a good idea to swing to a full finish and watch the flight of the ball until the ball stops. One, you will ingrain the feeling of your good shots and perhaps get feedback about the bad shots as well so that you can improve. Two, you will lose fewer balls if you watch them until they stop.

Consistency will improve as you improve your practice range habits and as you develop a good pre-shot routine. Additionally, work on the fundamentals such as grip, posture, alinement, etc. being confident that the better you are at them, the more consistent you will be. Also, drink plenty of fluids and eat something that will keep you energetic throughout the round. Always warm up before a round at the practice range or wherever. Play the course one shot at a time, and be positive thinking. Play within your ability and do not take unnecessary chances. Good course management also includes damage control, so play smart golf.

Now I am truly droning. The best of luck to you with your games. Sincerely, Cypressperch

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Drinking a Red Bull or two is always fun too. :). But pre-shot routine is definitly more important. :).

Chris.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
It is great advice that few people including myself actually go out and do. I'm vowing to change that today.

🔥 Latest posts