• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pre-shot

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I am in the process of re-reading Gio Valiantes book Fearless Golf and trying to work on my pre-shot routine. Great book that teaches you basically to play one shot at a time to a "target". At address the final thing in your mind should be "what's my target?".

Wondering how quick some of you "hit" or "swing" once setup?

I am down to basically picking a "target" from behind the ball....I take one practice swing beside the ball....address...take one look at my "target" and go. This is how I have always putted and felt it would help my iron game also.

I know that your routine is "your routine" but what is to fast.....does anyone here not take a practice swing at all once you pick a target??

Jason

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
the big thing is you want to feel comfortable over the shot.. you dont have to take a practice swing before you pick your target...

if you are making quick jerky motions, or trying to force yourself to do certain things, it could do more damage than help... i heard faldo talking about how certain players glide through their preshot routine, and how good that can be, ie freddy couples..

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, I've hit so many balls, I must preface this by saying most is unecessary except for the fact that a constant and strong pre-shot routine is essential.

I set up, use a club against my thighs to find my target, though, I don't need it. Then I look down at the ball, make sure everything is right and I'm comfortable. I look at my target one more time, look back down, and begin my swing.

Only the last sentence is necessary really, the rest is just fluff. But it's my routine and it gets me comfortable anyway, which is most important of a pre-shot routine.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I stand behind the ball, hold the clubhead up, and fully form my grip. Then I look at my target and draw a line back to the ball, trying to visualize the shot. I find a spot about two feet in front of the ball to align with. I then release my right hand and tap the ground with the club. This is my "ready" trigger. I step into my address, take my stance along the parallel target line, and repeat the day's swing thought to myself (which is probably the thing I most need to eliminate...) I re-form my grip, then get comfortable and waggle the club a few times, trying to feel smooth. My last waggle goes all the way through to a finish, and I look at the target one more time. Then I set, and pull the trigger almost as soon as I'm back at address.

This routine takes 20 seconds per shot, and I try not to vary it.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
for me, i look around to see any hazards, wind, yardage etc and then pic a target, draw a line to that target from the ball on the ground, and set a reference point (patch of grass, tee, whatever) to follow the line. i then think about the shot i want to make. do couple of easy swings behind the ball, approach the ball, rehearse the shot once to line up my body, address and swing.

it did take me awhile to do all this, but now i'm doing it like it's my second nature. when i address the ball, i clear my mind completely, no swing toughts or anything. just execute. i get very loose and flowing this way.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I rarely take a practice on the tee box. I line with a broken old tee on the box a few inches or a foot in front that is online, and try to take a very slow backswing then drive the ball over the marker. I figure if it starts out online it ought to be in play.

I do take a practice swing on the chips and short shots. Slope of ground, grass thickness and wetness, etc. all will have an effect and the practice swing gives me the feedback to make it happen, as opposed to the tee shot where the conditions are always the same.

But in all conditions I do best when I have visualized the shot before hitting it. I try to see the loft and flight of the ball in my mind, where it lands as well as the roll and hopeful outcome. I am trying to take the "silent eye"? that I use in putting to the rest of the game, i.e. have the data,visualize, and then let the subconscious take over and let the muscle memory do its job.

🔥 Latest posts