• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

preferred playing partner age

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
just thinking about my more enjoyable rounds where i played with someone i was paired with on the first tee and generally what age they were

seems to me the middle age-old guys are the best, at least from my age,

they may not play the best golf in the world, but they are full of great knowledge and stories, and are the most respectful of a "young lad" such as myself

i find that most other kids my age are just stupid, and your 20-40 year olds just don't appreciate getting their butt kicked by a 16 year old

what are your guys' thoughts?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Doesn't matter all that much to me. I've played with guys younger than me with great swings, but no appreciation for the game. And, i've played with old guys with great swings, and no appreciation for the game. And vice versa.

To me, it's all about how they treat the course, the other players and play fair. Age holds no boundaries to that.

If I had to choose, I would say that a shapely 25 year old Swedish model with a nice swing and love for the game would be my first choice. After that, it's a crap shoot...lol.:)

R35

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
It doesn't matter much to me either. I've teamed up on the first tee with golfers of various ages, and they're pretty much all decent people.

Except for two.

One time a junior joined my group and he didn't say two words for the entire front nine. He sullenly played his round, then quit after nine holes. He was obviously a very good golfer who was struggling that day and was not enjoying himself.

The other one was a retired guy who talked incessantly for the entire round, talking about how he usually uses a 9-iron on the 230 par three, regularly hit 300 yard drives, yada yada yada...Suffice to say he didn't come close to any of his claims that day. I'm sure he may have broken 100, but he says he almost broke 80. Yeah right.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
As far as age, it doesn't really matter. I've played along with guys old enough to be my grandfather. Loved it. They do have many great stories and are usually laid back. Earlier in the summer I played about 6 holes with a kid riding along with his mom (milf!!)--he was awesome. I think he was 8 or 9 years old. I saw him pitch in from about 40yards for birdie. His drives were already reaching over 100yards. He's going to be an awesome golfer someday.

What's important, is they were both gentleman, respected the course and others on it.

As far as who I don't like playing golf with. People who are loud, drive carts like their in a Hummer doing the BadBoys II downhill or something. People who basically are disrespectful while playing.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Like some of the other guys have said, it's not age but attitude that matters. My neighborhood has quite a few retired guys and some are a pleasure to play with and I avoid others at all cost.

I've also played with some of the kids from our local high school team and the same applies. Some enjoyable to play with and some not so much. Overall though I don't think there's any other game that attracts as many quality people as golf. It's why we notice it so much when we get paired with jerks.

Of course I've never actually had to play with Canadians so maybe my attitude would change then. :p

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I agree with Rock, except Nationality isn't necessarily a criteria. Shapely, pretty, and turned on by duck hooks and I'll be happy.

I've enjoyed playing with nearly everyone I've ever set foot on the course with. Talkative, fine. Quiet, OK. Mulligan-addict? OK. I guess only needless and stupid slow play gets on my nerves. Oh, and the guy who feels your round is only there so he can hone his critiquing and amateur lesson-giving. The braggards are fun, because they always brag their way out of their own round.

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
I prefer men in the 30's to play with me because they have no problems like old people get and have good experience

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I'm only 13, so I prefer boys my age, or seniors (over 60) as you are generally similar playing ability. It's quite embarassing if you're playing with someone who's hitting the ball much further than you and a much better player.

NorCal707

Its a glass didgeridoo.
Apr 14, 2005
Scotty01292 said:
I'm only 13, so I prefer boys my age, or seniors (over 60) .

Whatever floats your boat, but I'm going to go ahead and agree with the pretty lady theme. Seems like a rare find on a golf course though.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Age is not important to me. I just don't enjoy playing with anyone who can drive the ball farther than I can see.:eek:

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Age isn't too much of a factor just don't slow me down. Lol. My buddy and I can play 18 in about 2.5-3 hours with no group holding us up. I'm even ok with 3.5-4 hours. Just don't go too far beyond. I recently got paired up with a threesome and we spent 6 hours on the course that day. Longest round I've ever played.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Age isn't too much of a factor just don't slow me down. Lol. My buddy and I can play 18 in about 2.5-3 hours with no group holding us up. I'm even ok with 3.5-4 hours. Just don't go too far beyond. I recently got paired up with a threesome and we spent 6 hours on the course that day. Longest round I've ever played.
Same.

My FIL and I were playing a little 9 hole muni. We wanted to play a full 18 so we played twice. The first 9 we got paired with a husband/wife and it took us 3 hours to play 9. We played the back 9 in an hour and fifteen.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I could care less what the birthdate on a player's drivers license says. It's all about attitude, etiquette, and pace of play. If you want to shout four-letter words, throw clubs, and even damage the course by your temper tantrums... find someone else to play golf with. If you constantly walk on my putting line, fart or belch in my backswing, drive your cart off the path on par 3's and close to greens or tee boxes... find someone else to play golf with. If you take more than two practice swings, look for your lost Top Flite more than two or three minutes, take 10 minutes to decide which club you're going to chunk your next shot with, or squat down to line up your 4th putt... find someone else to play with.

Golf is a social experience that showcases a person's character and attitude, while the Game poses as an athletic event designed to frustrate anyone idiotic enough to take it up. At my age, I can refuse to experience the company of any person if their social skills are something I'd rather not put up with. Likewise, the time I have left to play this GREAT Game is much too short to be a made a negative experience by someone who just doesn't get it... mindful of their ability to ruin another's day on the course or oblivious to it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.