• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Preperation

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
How much do ya'll practice the week before a tournament? I am playing my first tourney of year this weekend and I have been hitting the ball better than I have in a long time. Last year it never failed I would play awesome a day or two before the tourney then I would play like crap in the event. I guess I was trying to hard and swinging to hard. I am trying not to get into the same rut so I am going to lay off this week.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
How much do ya'll practice the week before a tournament? I am playing my first tourney of year this weekend and I have been hitting the ball better than I have in a long time. Last year it never failed I would play awesome a day or two before the tourney then I would play like crap in the event. I guess I was trying to hard and swinging to hard. I am trying not to get into the same rut so I am going to lay off this week.
I've only played in a couple of medal play tourneys, and it's always been the same, sad story. Felt pretty good going in, then hack, hack, hack, hack, hack...

No one has EVER accused me of being a sandbagger.

Sorry I'm no help. Maybe Romeo's idea is best. Drink tequila until 4:00am. Tee off at 7:00.

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
I forgot about that technique! Now that I think about it,it will probably end up that way with the guys I am going with.

I just have this feeling that if I don't keep swinging I will lose the feeling or the swing I am putting on the ball right now.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I am in the same situation, This friday is the first of the season for me. But I tee off at noon, so should I drink until 9am? haha

Honestly try not to think about it, keep doing your routine, go hit balls, maybe if there is something wrong right now " wedges example" then hit lots of wedges. and just keep putting, dont try hard, just like you normally would. I think my putting is comming back, I had 32 putts on sunday so im hoping 30 or less this weekend.

OP
Clemson

Clemson

longest member member
Aug 2, 2007
Thanks. It is the Colleton County AM at The plantation course on Edisto Beach. Friday practice round and Tee times start at 11 am on Sat. and a shotgun start at 8:30 on Sunday. I don't know how I got talked into playing. My buddy said something about a weekend of golf and drinking and I said sign me up.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Best of luck guys. Remember, fairways and greens, fairways and greens.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have played in several tourneys now, so my words of advice are: go practice your short game.

:D

Putting is where it's at. If you can make putts you will win.

Chips and pitches are simply mini swings. Practice them until your hands bleed and you will put yourself in a position to make the putts, AND your full swing will be better.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I'll usually try to get at least one practice round in on the course, mainly to figure out where I want to place the ball off the tee on each hole. If time allows on the course, I will also try a few chips from around the green (only if it doesn't slow down the play). I will then spend about three hours per day the week before the event hitting balls, one hour on putting, one on chipping, and one on hitting full shots.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ideally myself for individual tourneys I do a lot actually. I play at least twice (time permitting) on the course, once to get used to how the course will probably play (do this within 2-3 days before the tourney) and another round just to get the layout (can do this whenever before hand just to get used to it).

I chart everything, I have a notebook, and I take a ton of pics to go over nights before to plan out where im going to hit every shot, I take pics of tee shot, approach shot, green, back to tee from green and back to tee from area I hit my tee shot to. I literally cover everything before a tourney, and day before I like to be on the course putting for an hour or two to get used to the speed and how they break.

As you can see, Im a very thourough person for prep and all I really have to do come game time is hit it to where I wrote down (which last weekend I did very well, missing only 3fws for 36 holes in my tourney in Virginia).

As for playing, I like to play everyday in a week going into a tourney, one to three full rounds, another 9 hole or two, and range and practise green everyday, I find I personally play best when Im playing a lot, so I play constantly to keep rhythm and tempo.

Just make sure you keep yourself loose come tourney time, most important thing is just stay relaxed and keep the swing smooth, my swing thought all last weekend was smooth with open wrists (as i was over rotating my wrists through impact hooking, so just something I was working on "holding off" my wrists through impact).

Remember, if you have a decent swing, I find all you really have to do is keep your tempo good and that'll result in good shots.

Members online

No members online now.