• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pro V1

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
I normally play the Pro V1's and love them, but not necessarily the price. I usually go through 1 ball a round then it becomes a practice ball or on a limited occurrence is lost. The other day I played a round of golf and and by the end of the day I had lost 1 water ball and had scuffs on 3 others so now they are $4 practice balls. This course has cart paths 5 feet off the left edge of tight fairways on 8 holes and with my draw that didn't end up well for me, That accounted for 2 scuffs and the other one I don't know for sure how it got scuffed. Nothing like $15 in balls pissed away in a round.

Anyways, I have seen those refinished balls and they look good, but how do they hold up and how is the feel on them. Have any of you guys given them a shot? If they are truly as good as new at $23 a dozen I will be so happy I may have to go buy a few other clubs.

I seen these on ebay so I am going to give them a try, If they don't work I will send them back.

eBay: 60 Titleist Pro V1 golf balls ***Guaranteed MINT*** (item 290105024448 end time Apr-20-07 19:45:00 PDT)

PS I talked to this guy and seems like a very nice fellow. He is getting ready to retire from the Navy and is an avid golfer, he says they hold up as well as the new ones and if I didn't think they did he would take care of it. He also said if I ever wanted more, just email him and would just take paypal and the price would be $115 shipped.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd personally rather have good condition used than refinished. I've put huge cracks (smiley's all the way to the core) in 3 refinished balls, 2 ProV's and 1 NXT. Considering I've only used maybe 10 refinished balls, that's not a good ratio.

- John

OP
PingZing2

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Thats definitely not what I wanted to hear. I hope my experience goes a little better then that.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you are looking for a cheaper ball for rec play, I hear the new Top Flites are pretty good.

Get your hands on some Stratas, cheap, and awesome, if you can find them. Also the NXT(Tour) or various other balls. Just ask. Everyone here knows how much we like talking about the balls we are using.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
im with ez on this one. i woudl rather have good used balls than refinished ones. The thing is with the refinished ones, the pretty much just paint them white, which means it comes off with only a couple of shots.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'd personally rather have good condition used than refinished. I've put huge cracks (smiley's all the way to the core) in 3 refinished balls, 2 ProV's and 1 NXT. Considering I've only used maybe 10 refinished balls, that's not a good ratio.

- John

I buy a good portion of my Pro V1s from ebay. They are graded AAA+ and promise no water balls. Seems to have worked well for me thus far. I only use new Pro V1s in "important" rounds. :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I buy a good portion of my Pro V1s from ebay. They are graded AAA+ and promise no water balls. Seems to have worked well for me thus far. I only use new Pro V1s in "important" rounds. :laugh:

I always wondered where they got those balls. I only find nice, no scuffed ones in the water. I know every time I hit one into the woods, it hits a tree and gets scuffed. Puzzling to me.

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
Try the new Top Flite D2 Feel, they get about the same amount of spin as a Pro V1x from Irons and full wedges, just not to spinny around the greens. Possibly the most durable ball on the market

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I buy all my V1x's used off of ebay.

Reconditioned I didn't like at all. Basically they strip the ball down, then repaint it. Then they throw the labeling on randomly. The "arrow" on the V1's are always along the seam. On reconditioned balls, it is a total random occurance. As long as they are V1's they will play almost as good. I just didn't like the fact that couldn't they just strip down any ball with a seam, then paint the "Titleist" on there? How do you know for sure?

So now I only buy used balls. As long as you go with AAA or better, or however each individual seller labels them, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Then only problem I seem to keep running into is when spring comes around and it's time to hit up ebay for 6 dozen or so for the year, the guy I bought them from the previous year is no longer listed as active on ebay. This has happened to me 3 years in a row. I really have no idea why that is. So every year it's a new crapshoot to see if I am going to get balls that I like or not.

OP
PingZing2

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Being as I had already ordered the balls to try out before I posted (maybe a mistake on my part) I recieved them in the mail on friday. They looked very good. I took three with me to the course just to try them out. They started out ok, the paint held up and no problems on the feel of the ball. However, after I started using wedges the painted started chipping and peeling off a little like Fore142 had stated. I don't think it was bad enough to affect the flight much but more a psycological thing. So this weekend I managed to get three rounds in and from what I can tell if it wasn't for the wedges they would have been ok. However, I think you guys are right go with the used balls in good condition.

I emailed the guy back and told him my experiences and he said that just send them back for a full refund and keep a dozen for the trouble. In all honesty though they held up and played a little better then I though they would.

CHW

Apr 17, 2007
I like the Pro v balls alot to but a good compramise it the NXT tour balls they are almost as good and alot cheeper

Members online