• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problem with the VS-proto

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
So I've been playing the same shaft just about all year. First in the Hibore XL Tour 70-s, now in the nike 5000 in the 65-s OEM.

My swing has gotten a lot better as the year is going on and now for some reason I am making it rain with the driver. It's the highest ball flight I've gotten. Now when I really smash a drive it's like 250 instead of the 270 or so it was at the beginning of the season. I mean there are some huge trees that line the fairways and I'm blowing the ball over them where before if I went right it was 1/2 or 3/4 up.

I'm picking up my tour burner that I had the speeder 757 (s) put in tomorrow morning. Is the speeder known for a lower ball flight? I thought the VS was "my" shaft, but I don't think it is anymore.

So should I maybe try an x in the VS or if the speeder works maybe I'll pick one up for the Nike.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
The tour burner and the nike are the same loft and both are supposedly low spin.

I guess we'll see when I take the TB out tomorrow.

The VS 70-s looks about like the speeder, I think I'll pick up one of those and throw it in the nike and go head to head. TB vs. sumo 5000

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
You're forgetting one thing...

We need pictures and stories by tomorrow!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The tour burner is way lower spinning than the nike sumo 5000. Not even close realLY. The TB is one of the lowest spinning heads I have ever seen.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
You're forgetting one thing...

We need pictures and stories by tomorrow!

Pictures won't be a problem I'll have those in a little. As for stories, rain, rain, and more rain. I was on the first tee waiting for the group in front of us and boom, huge crash of thunder and a down pour. So the review will have to wait.

The TB looks good with the speeder though. I'll get some pics when I get back from getting my hair cut.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Sweet!

Rainy here too, :(

Taking a week off anyway.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Gonna rain all week here..

Gonna sneak in 9 after work if I can play fast enough..

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a shaft to bring my flight down. Something in a S flex, but with stiffer tip, and lower launch for my 9.5 TB. I'm eye ballin' the Diamana WB TP shaft.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Alright I'm little upset.

What is the best way to measure playing length on a club? I really think the club maker I have been going to is an idiot. I usually have the club on the floor and hold it like im setting up. Then I put a yard stickrunning along theshaft and that's theplaying length right or wrong?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's measured from the bottom of the heel to the end of the grip.

One good method is to know the bottom of bore to ground (from the bottom of the inside of the hosel to the ground. That way, you'll also know the insertion depth.

Total length of shaft - insertion depth + BBG measurement = Final Playing Length.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice looking club man. That's the combo I was contemplating putting together. FWIW the VS70S and the Speeder 757S are my favorite driver shafts. The VS seems to launch a tad higher but it definitly a stiffer feeling shaft. The 757 has a higher bendpoint but the overall shaft is a little softer and has more "feel" to me. I had the VS in a BurnerTP 9.5* and the Speeder is in my current 9.5* QuadTP. QuadTP is less forgiving but is longer on near perfect contact. I felt I could lay into a cut a little harder with the VS than the Speeder.

Also I had a 65S VS pull in another QuadTP 9.5*. Not the same shaft as the 70S, way softer in the tip.

🔥 Latest posts