• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problem with the VS-proto

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I had the 70-S in the Hibore XL Tour and i loved the flight. I guess the differences in the 65 and 70 VS give me trouble.

I'm playing 9 tomorrow afternoon so I'll let you know how the TB plays. I've only hit it about 10 times with the OEM shaft.

My buddy borrowed it and someone unhooked his bag in a best ball tourny and he didn't have the headcover on it. I was so mad but what could I do.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
All you guys who are looking for shafts that lower the ball flight of the driver must have some serious swing speed. I've gone the opposite way lately and went to a 10.5 loft to get more height and extra carry distance, which for me means more overall distance. The extra loft also makes it easier to swing easy and improve accuracy. In the old days when I had a low loft/stiff shaft/low launch combo, I found that I had to go at it hard on every swing to get good results. Now I can swing at 70% and still get a good flight and only lose 20 or so yards but get heaps better accuracy.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
My problem with that, as weird as it may seem the harder I swing the better my swing is.

When I slow it down I get all out of wack. When I'm atheltic and swing like I want to I'm more relaxed and it just goes. It just so happens my swing speed is a littler on the higher side I guess.

If I could slow it down and hit the fairway I'd go with the higher loft softer flex. This is my 3rd full year playing so right now I'm going with what works.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
How's it going so far J?

Oh, and my FT-i is the same, I have to swing at it for it to work well. Must be the X.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
It's going good. First time out was a little different from the Nike but today I played 18 and hit every fairway on the back and 2 on the front.

Great ball flight and I think the distance is just about the same as the Nike when I was getting that nice mid-high trajectory. I like the sound a lot more with the Tour Burner. I think the speeder is a great shaft.

I'm going to play tomorrow and hopefully get on the LM to get some numbers from both drivers. Im playing 18 in the morning and if my guy will let me come out and hit some balls on the LM I'll post those up here too.

Our club championship (flighted of course) is this weekend. I'm actually comfortable with both drivers so I'm pretty confident going into the weekend. I just want to iron out which one to use.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
So 18 today in the pouring rain to get ready for the championship this weekend.

I think the Tour Burner will take the spot in the bag (for now). I hit great drives with both. I really love the speeder in the TB, I think it fits my swing pretty well. I go after it and it seems to play better when I rip it.

I have an empty spot in the bag since I took out the 3 hyrbid so I was thinking about leaving both drivers in the bag this weekend. My only problem with that is will I think too much about which driver and not about the shot.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So 18 today in the pouring rain to get ready for the championship this weekend.

I think the Tour Burner will take the spot in the bag (for now). I hit great drives with both. I really love the speeder in the TB, I think it fits my swing pretty well. I go after it and it seems to play better when I rip it.

I have an empty spot in the bag since I took out the 3 hyrbid so I was thinking about leaving both drivers in the bag this weekend. My only problem with that is will I think too much about which driver and not about the shot.

Why not have one driver that nearly ensures fairway, and one that is longer?

I think about the shot, and playing two drivers, pick the one that fits.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Very true, I'm glad you responded since I remember that you are doing just that. I really like the TB and it hits fairways. With it playing 44.5 I just seem to have great center contact.

I thought the TB won the spot but after today the Nike is back in the running. I feel confident with both of them but with the TB my misses aren't as bad.

I'm looking to get a heavier shaft for the Nike either another speeder or a 70-s in the proto. I'll leave both in the bag. I'm going with your set up only the Nike will be the bomb and gouge and the TB will be the fairway finder.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Very true, I'm glad you responded since I remember that you are doing just that. I really like the TB and it hits fairways. With it playing 44.5 I just seem to have great center contact.

I thought the TB won the spot but after today the Nike is back in the running. I feel confident with both of them but with the TB my misses aren't as bad.

I'm looking to get a heavier shaft for the Nike either another speeder or a 70-s in the proto. I'll leave both in the bag. I'm going with your set up only the Nike will be the bomb and gouge and the TB will be the fairway finder.

Its actually worked really well for me. 380 par 4? What do I need a 300 shot for, that might be in the rough? I know I'm good from 120, so take the Nike. Just all tactics, and finding a bag that suits me well.

Currently that happens to be the one I'm using.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah I'm convinced after mapping out the holes and coming up with a game plan. The holes that have the least trouble and are open, I'm going with the Nike. Tighter more trouble TB. It's solved.

Now all I have to do is put some swings together and I'll take my flight.

Thanks Jeff. Alright I'm off to get some rest. Wish me luck. I'll have a report of the first round if we get it in around 1pm or so.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah I'm convinced after mapping out the holes and coming up with a game plan. The holes that have the least trouble and are open, I'm going with the Nike. Tighter more trouble TB. It's solved.

Now all I have to do is put some swings together and I'll take my flight.

Thanks Jeff. Alright I'm off to get some rest. Wish me luck. I'll have a report of the first round if we get it in around 1pm or so.

My pleasure man. Look forward to hearing the report.

🔥 Latest posts