• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Product Question: Callaway vs. Ping

JJM

Nov 10, 2005
Hi: I am new to Shot Talk and had a question. I currently own (and like) Callaway's Big Bertha 2004 Irons and Big Bertha 454 Ti Driver. They have improved my game, however I am still a 26 handicap. I have always liked (and wanted) a set of Pings and have been reading up on the G5's. Like the Callaway's, they claim that they are very forgiving. My question is; is it really worth moving up to the Ping's G5's or should I just stay with my Callaways? Thanks...........

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I say stick with them.

You're going to end up spending money to go to the Pings. Spend a percentage of those funds on lessons. That's going to help bring your handicap down. And a range pass. Practice makes better.

New equipment isn't going to help if you're not putting worth a damn because you can't read greens or you're hitting your irons way right all the time. 99% of the time, it's not the equipment that's causing your game to be in the toilet.

Just my $0.02.

R35

PS>...not that your game is in the toilet, but you know what i'm saying. Some lessons and range time will be worth their weight in gold, I promise you...

DBogie59

Oct 30, 2005
I have been looking at the Cally 454 and Ping G2 drivers. Both seem to be the same to me, very forgiving and easy to hit. If you keep changing clubs you will forever struggle.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Don't buy more clubs.

This is coming from somebody who fully advocates buying clubs any time your equipment goes south.

Since you already have ultra-forgiving clubs, at a 26 handicap you won't be able to get much different results from one shovel to the next, assuming both sets are correctly fitted.

If you really need something new, upgrade your putter or wedges. Or just spend the money on golf

OP
JJM

JJM

Nov 10, 2005
All good advice. And yes, lessons are surely the way to go. There is no doubt about that. Should I get lessons first or have my clubs fitted first and then lessons?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I would get lessons first, then get fitted. With confidence, your swingspeed, angle of attack, shot shape, ect may change. Best to have your swing somewhat in the know before setting aside some major bucks on clubs that may not be what you need after a couple of months.

Keep us posted on how things go with the lessons. As I said, they really help to find those problems that we sometimes can't see or figure out on our own.

Cheers,

R35

Golf Monkey

Jun 9, 2005
Rockford35 said:
I would get lessons first, then get fitted. With confidence, your swingspeed, angle of attack, shot shape, ect may change. Best to have your swing somewhat in the know before setting aside some major bucks on clubs that may not be what you need after a couple of months.

Keep us posted on how things go with the lessons. As I said, they really help to find those problems that we sometimes can't see or figure out on our own.

Cheers,

R35

Yup, Rocks right, there was an article in Todays Golfer a few months ago they suggested golfers with a handicap lower than 12 would benefit from custom fitting, anything above should get lessons and get in as much course time as possible.

There's no quick fix solution to getting a lower handlcap, you gotta put the time and graft in.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.