• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PROJECT TIME!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Many companies out there offer their product as a component sale (i.e.: heads only). Check out Golfsmith, Golfworks, Wishon Golf, Miura, etc.

OEM's (which we refer to here) are companies like Callaway, Cobra, Titleist, etc. These groups normally only sell their product as a complete club.

This isn't to say that you can't buy an OEM and swap out the shafts, that's a super easy job and you could do it in about an hour. But custom building a set from scratch takes way more work and dedication. But, you're building custom, and that takes time.

I've played both and there is zero difference between the two. Arguments come from both sides, but both are solid decisions.

R35

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
Oh ok, I'm looking to buy OEM clubs, and then re shaft them. Like you said, was a super easy job.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Cleveland TA2's, original RAC LT's are .370, not sure about any newer models.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Anyone here ever game a set of cleveland ta7's? I almost bought a set like two years ago, when I first started out, but I didn't like them (more likely because I sucked) I am asking because I want to know how much offset they have, seeing as I am looking for a set with next to none, and I haven't found any address pictures.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Anyone here ever game a set of cleveland ta7's? I almost bought a set like two years ago, when I first started out, but I didn't like them (more likely because I sucked) I am asking because I want to know how much offset they have, seeing as I am looking for a set with next to none, and I haven't found any address pictures.
TA-1's or TA-3's have less offset than the TA-7's. The TA-1's are about as close to pure blades as you can get. I believe most of the TA line is advertised as "forged" Cleveland's forgings were a stainless steel forging, not the more typical carbon steel. They felt "harder" than the more typical forged irons. I had a set of the TA-3's with Flighted Rifles. So many set of irons I should never have let go... and they were one of those.
Edit: I also believe the TA line from Cleveland had caution tags on them that they could not be bent. Something about the forging process Cleveland used left the hosels too brittle to safely bend. If you are looking to customize a set of irons just for yourself, you might want to bend them and be disappointed when one snapped.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
That still tells me next to nothing about te set in question...

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
From this image they appear to have quite a bit of offset.

cls00528_53503d401c28d.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
From this image they appear to have quite a bit of offset.

cls00528_53503d401c28d.jpg
Yup there were 2 versions of the ta7's, one TA-7 and the other TA-7 Tours. Naturally the tours had less offset and were .370 hosel (i believe). I too almost bought a set, more like 10 years ago though. :)

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Yeah they're that old. I traded a set of TA 3's for a set of TA 7's when my swing got in a funk. They have a lot of offset and a very high ball flight. Definitely not what you are looking for.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online