• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PROJECT TIME!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
So I have a project for myself this winter, I'm gonna make my iron set, and build it to exactly the way I want and need them, I want to find some older/ semi run down irons, but new grips and shafts, and do all of my own installation!

Shafts: I'm not too picky on these, it will ultimately come down to price, but if someone could tell me which ones are the best for stiffness, while also launching the ball high, that would be my ideal shaft, so suggestions please!

Grips: I want cords this time. I bought Winn dri TAC's, and I was dissatisfied with their overall performance and durability. So I was thinking ping cords, which are cheap, or splurging on some golf pride multi comps, which will last me a few seasons, and I have used my buddies back up set a time or two, and loved the multi comps on them.

Heads: I'm probably going to buy the set whole, and gut them, kep the shafts, just cuz, but I want some ones that I don't have to spend a lot on. i3's seem great for the money, and I can have a 2i to bring in and out of the bag if I choose, I am also looking into some of the older ping "s" series sets, s58, or s59, or perhaps a different set that I can get in 2-pw. I haven't looked into many other heads yet, but I am definately up for suggestions!

Process: I'll be doing all of the work by myself, and I will really have a solid set of "my irons"

I want to refinish what ever set I buy, and give them I nice mirror shine, or at least brushed clean dull, like the current pings.

Last edited:
OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Just fount the titleist DCI 990's, look pretty sweet.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The 990's were fairly short-lived in the Titleist line. The 962 had been a huge hit, garnering a cult following. Titleist needed something new and brought out the 990. I remember David Duval said something on the order of the 990's being more demanding than the skills he had. They had a sweet spot the size of a pencil head.
If you can find a nice set of 962's.... or the 962b, which was the players version... I believe you would be happier than with the 990's. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Well my natural ball flight with my irons is low and mostly straight, maybe a little right to left. What shaft will be stiff enough to keep it straight, bu not too stiff, and will maybe launch the ball a bit higher?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There are dozens of shaft that would fit the bill.

Have you hit any irons and liked the ball flight? That's a better way to narrow it down, get out there and hit some. Then, you can normally use that to acquire what works for your swing.

I play Nippon. They're solid, awesome ball flight ( I also hit the ball low), and the spin is outstanding for my swing. Now, that may not work for you, but they do for me.

R35

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
How deep are your divots? And how steep is your swing?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
How deep are your divots? And how steep is your swing?
This is a pretty personal question, but we're all friends here. :cool:

I am a pretty shallow picker, i'm not very steep. I can be when I need to hit that shot, but my regular swing results in little to no divot with my irons. I do with my wedges, PW, 9 iron and my 8 iron, but the rest of the time, less than average.

I also carry the same shafts throughout my set for every club. 2 iron, irons, wedges. Consistency rules.

R35

🔥 Latest posts