• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Project X shaft in GI irons

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I've been playing cavity backed Hogan Edge CFT irons with apex 4 shafts (stiff). I've been happy with the feel and forgiveness of the irons but the shafts felt uninspiring. After much research (this forum, golfopinions.com,freegolfinfo.com, and golfrewind.com) as primary sources I decided to reshaft the irons with Project X rifles 6.0 brushed sheen, not flighted. I've heard they play a bit stiffer than DG S-300s which are about right for me. I also like a bit longer shafts so I soft stepped them twice.(3 iron shaft in 5 iron head etc). Then I spined them.The soft stepping caused the swing weight to be a bit heavier than I like (length issues and shafts are a bit lighter than apex 4s) D3 to 4.5. Not sure what stiffness they are now. Maybe 5.5 to 5.7 but they are RIGHT.

Took them out for a spin today.The ball flight is about the same height as the apex shafts (a high launch shaft) for the 5 iron thru 7 iron but at apogee they seem to flatten and carry. I've gained 10 yards and a very soft landing ball. Great spin control on greens. The 8 iron thru E (PW for everyone else) the ball flight was lower but again with great spin control. My problem with the apexs was ballooning with the short irons.

Feel was what I expect from Rifles silky smooth yet responsive. I could still feel flex on full shots but no whippyness (Try to spell check that word:)).

Beware with my review as I have been partial to Rifles. DG-300s are a good shaft with great ball flight but they feel a bit harsh to me. Have not tried Nippon products. The negative to the project x shafts is the cost. Cost me $160 on ebay for 9 shafts.

Has anyone had experience with Project X flighted or TT Black Gold??

Very happy with the shafts. Shot a all time low for me on a course which requires good iron play. All greens multi tiered.:laugh:

calmei1

Carlosja
Mar 10, 2008
I play the Hogan Edge CFT'too expect i have the Hybrid 3 and 4. I have also been thinking about switching to a players iron like the mizuno mx 25, titleist ap2, cleveland red. I just know that i want rifle project x flighted shafts. Can you offer any more details on what you did. Ebay? brought them to your local pro? brought it to golf store?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Project X shafts are awesome. I have decided yet again to go back to these. My elbow and back love the light weight of the superlites, and my contact is dead nutted perfect, I just cant help but pull everything once I get warmed up. Its looks like px6.0's and aleve will yet again dominate my bag.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
And you'll set those up using TLT, right Lyle? :)

Already have.

I have also dug up my elbow wrap for the tendinitis gap stop that i know I will now need.

I love the feel of the light, soft to flex shafts. Just so damn smooth and easy on the body. I just cant control the release enough I am finding. Its OK when I am cold but once I warm up. look out. Dead solid contact, middle of the face, just yanked, one after the other. The PX6.0 are quite stiff and sit in between a S300 and an X100 for flex equivalent, they are also 25g heavier per shaft.
So what I have decided to do is keep the tad moores and use the 3-4-5-6 in the tads, and use the raven blades I bought for the 7-8-9-pw. Both are satin finish and look like they were made to go together. Time will tell if I can play a whole year with these or if I will end up on the disabled list as a result.

🔥 Latest posts