• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pros and Cons of going to the shop

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ok, so rumour had it that today was "Sumo Saturday". Curiousity and boredom got the best of me (and the GF was baking some gawd awful smelling shit), so the shop came a'callin'.

I head down there with intentions of being is impartial towards this Nike as possible. I really don't have a like for Nike stuff, but I wanted to be on the fence with this as it was a new technology and perhaps something that might put Nike on my page.

I won't hold back any longer.

The new Sumo2.

This thing is gargantuan and just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. The colour scheme is clownshoes, the shaft is just as ugly and the headcover is completely insane. You'd have to be colour blind or blind period to play this thing.

I'm on the fence, remember this.

The thing is straight. That's it. Straight. It goes straight.....and nothing else. BUT, it's extremely loud and ugly loud at that. It feels like you have a 1 qt paint can on the end of stick. Not good. People in the shop were making faces at me when I was hitting this thing. If this thing looked like a TEE or a Hibore or a FT-5, I couldn't play it. It's just a sickening, almost worrysome metallic noise that makes you look at the face as though it's missing some parts. There's really something wrong here.

The shaft flexed all over the place for me. I had no idea where the head was, eerily close to how the NV felt for me. Or maybe it was the small country of a head attached to the end. Who knows, who cares. End of demo.

After hitting this atrosity, I went on to the Sumo. This driver is ugly at address, but it's way more solid and the ball explodes off the face. More spin equals less control, but the club felt like a solid unit. Even the shaft felt better with this head in it.

Sitting on the fence as I walked in, I quickly found myself in familiar territory with Nike equipment as before I walked in. It's not for me. I honestly can't think of anyone that could use this driver (Sumo2) and still go home and kiss their wife afterwards. Ridiculous. The Sumo, however, is a better alternative and could pass as a piece of golf equipment and not be mistaken for an aircraft carrier. The shaft works in it, and the ball flies off the face. However, the colour scheme and address look need some serious work. That "shadowing effect" that they do just sucks.

Scores:

Sumo

Appearance 7/10
Sound 7/10
Feel 8/10
Shaft 8/10
Forgiveness 8/10

Sumo2

Appearance 2/10 (I give it 2 because the face was sorta shiny. Other than that, it has no other astethic qualities)
Sound 0/10
Feel -huh?
Shaft - 1/10
Forgiveness - your guess is as good as mine, but the ball goes straight - every time.

Overall, I would play a Sumo if it was all I could rent. I'd never buy one. And there's not a hope you could get me to play a Sumo2. I'd play 3 wood all day.

The saddest part of this story takes me back to waiting for some time in the sim with the Nike's. I hit the putting green and tried out a few putters that had escaped my grasp in the past. Some Yes!'s, a few Callys, even a Ping (old school Anser).

Sigh.

I now sit at home here with a new ITrax from Callaway. I've hit this thing before and really liked it. But today took the cake. I hit 35 putts of 16 feet and sunk 32. 18 from one direction and 17 from another. By the end I was making putts with my eyes closed. I started to put it back on the shelf and the store manager comes up and says "I watched you hit every one of those putters and you ripped it up with the Itrax. Give me 60 bucks and it's yours."

Cripes.

I'm happy I have a solid putter in the bag. But now I have some competition. This thing really - really - rolls the rock.

I need help. Seriously.

R35

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Haha, i got an email from golftown the other day in their newslettre about the itrax being like 45$.

Agree completely about the sumo2, i tried it last week, the sound i actually thought i had broken it or something, and it felt like i could hit a ball better with a brick on a stick. Just a horrendous club overall, id give it a 1 outta 10 ONLY because it was straight, but i cant handle a driver that just goes straight all day long.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
How long is the Sumo 2? Any ideas? For some reason absolutely no shops in my area have launch monitors. The manager of the one I usually go to said "Demo on the launch monitor? You can't demo drivers on the launch monitor." Like I had 2heads and just asked him if I could walk upside down on the ceiling. Maybe they are saving the launch monitor for something? Like liquidating when a competitor with half a brain for marketing and sales moves in.... As you can tell this frustrates and bewilders me.

So what's the putter look like?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
How long is the Sumo 2? Any ideas? For some reason absolutely no shops in my area have launch monitors. The manager of the one I usually go to said "Demo on the launch monitor? You can't demo drivers on the launch monitor." Like I had 2heads and just asked him if I could walk upside down on the ceiling. Maybe they are saving the launch monitor for something? Like liquidating when a competitor with half a brain for marketing and sales moves in.... As you can tell this frustrates and bewilders me.

So what's the putter look like?

I couldn't tell you because I didn't care. Even if that thing hit the ball 15 yards further than what I hit now, it wouldn't be in my bag. Period.

If I had to guess, I would say not as long as the Sumo. That's about as accurate as I could guess.

The Itrax looks like this. Obviously, it's not for everyone, but it's face balanced and puts a great roll on the ball. Nothing like the Two Ball or the Craz-E. Smallish, changeable top cap alignment and weighting. Rolls great.

R35
callaway_itrax.jpg

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I am demoing the Sumo2 tomorrow, I am planning on killing it will 100% swings in a regular shaft.

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
How loud is the Sumo 2 as compared to a X 460? Thats the loudest OEM I've tried. At least its a good sound though. The Hogan C3 is still the worst sounding driver Ive heard.

I almost bit the bullet on Intrax putter at the local Golftown. If it had been $45 or even $60 I would got it for sure, Unfortunately that stores prices wernt as good :( . I might recheck next time and see if the prices have dropped. I've been thinking of changing from a blade to a mallet putter just to try something different.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's louder, and very startling. It's like running over a bike with your car - you know something's wrong, you just can't see what it is.

The FT-i is supposedly along the same lines except the sound is more encouraging than discouraging.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My girls (11 & 7) and I went to GG today...signs up everywhere about "Sumo Day". Only one I even looked at was a ladies version that my 11 yr. old and I laughed at. Ugliest club I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely no way I could play this club. Nike is either really stupid, or really ignorant, with this driver.

Some guy was hitting one and everyone around was going "That's the worst sounding driver I've ever heard" and "It doesn't even sound like a golf club".

I did hit an Adams RPM LP 5 wood and a Ping G5 3 wood, both with PL 75's. The Adams was nice...nicer than the Ping that would match my driver. I know where a 3/5 combo is for under $150...hehehehe....

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I am demoing the Sumo2 tomorrow, I am planning on killing it will 100% swings in a regular shaft.

Ha, ha. I'd sky the crap out of it with the mid/low bend soft tipped shaft they probably have in it. I seriously wouldn't even try to hit it with a shaft like that.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nike is either really stupid, or really ignorant, with this driver.

Some guy was hitting one and everyone around was going "That's the worst sounding driver I've ever heard" and "It doesn't even sound like a golf club".

These two statements could not be more accurate.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
It could also be said that Nike is getting arrogant..."If we build it, they will buy it"...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
A new putter. The bliss is gone? :laugh:

So, which cap do you have in it? Lines or Chevron/Callaway advertising?

I was at the local Golfsmith yesterday during my Ho trip and a rep from Heavy Putter was there with a computerized dynamic putter measuring device. I met him at the show last week, but he had no clue who I was (I guess the Shottalk.com hat didn't attract as much attention at the show as I hoped....) Anyway, while I was waiting to get wired up I was putting around with a 33" center shafted Heavy Putter and sinking just about everything. It is an interesting design and concept, but I do not think that I am quite ready to step into one. The dynamic putter fitting was quite interesting. It showed you just about every aspect of you putting stroke that you thought possible and then some. I found out that my average height above the ground the leading edge of my putter is at impact is 7.6 millimeters (as long as your below 11mm, your OK.) My face loft at impact was just about zero as my forward press which I carried through my strokes was 2.79 degrees (the only thing he recommended I work on.) At impact, the face angle of my putter was just a hair open (I forget the actual number but it was less than 1 degree.) The impact point on the face was just a hair off center toward the toe. I hit five of the seven putts during the measurement, the two I missed were just left of the hole.

The best thing I learned was what neck style would suit me. Center shafted/flush with the leading edge to a mid offset. No deep offsets with my current putting stroke.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I tried the sumo too, makes an alwful sound like you guys said but what i hated most was the weight, it was way too light, and the launch was way too high with too much spin, no roll whatsoever. But if all you want to do is hit em straight, and you can get over the shape, sound, paintjob, and weight, then the sumo2 is for you. You'd probably want an aftermarket shaft too.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I like zero or short hosel designs, and no center shaft. I also am a feel guy, bigtime. This thing has awesome feel for a non-insert putter.

I also decided fully that the White Steel and XG aren't for me. I still like the Fang, but it's not anywhere near the feel of this ITrax.

I also dismissed anything from TM, the Tour Blue from Callaway, anything from Ping except (surprisingly) the Doc. That thing's huge, but it works.

I tried a few TE putters, they all SUCKED which suprised me.

I also tried out this crazy Never Compromise thing that looked like a boomerang that had been stuck with with a pitchfork. Center shafted (which I hate), but I gave it a run. Not bad, but crazy weird. I also kept catching it on the ground, so I think the profile isn't for my stroke.

Itrax is sitting here with the Chevron installed. I don't see any reason to change it out right now, but maybe when I feel the need for a "new" putter, I will. :D

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I tried a few TE putters, they all SUCKED which suprised me.

R35

I looked at a few of them the other day. Probably the worst looking clubs that they produce IMHO. Its almost like they bought them from someone else and slapped the TE name on them.

Maybe they will produce an Exotics line of putters that put those to shame?

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online