• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pro's goooooone

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Not surprising. Dick's CEO was recently complaining about how golf sales were less than expected... by quite a bit. Dick's owns Golf Galaxy, Golfworks, and their own big boxes. The next move will be the closing of some Golf Galaxy stores. Once Dick's understands that the big box concept isn't working in this industry, perhaps we will see a resurgence of "Mom & Pop" shops.
TMAG has been closely tied to Dick's. The TMAG CEO is now complaining about sales numbers. Maybe now they'll only bring out a new driver every 6 months instead of every 3 months!!!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That's fine, fire em all. The old dude who worked at the Dicks in East town mall here in Madison was annoying old bastard. Got to the point where I would go up the escalator and if I saw him in the golf section, I would go right back down.

OP
MattyB

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah reading the comments to that article it doesn't seem there were too many pros even in store when needed, and if they were they pushed for money hungry sales and that was all.
Kinda sucks, I'd love a golf store with a in house pro to call on every now and then.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
BTW this line cracked me up.
“I’m sincerely disappointed that the careers of so many PGA professionals have been hurt today,” wrote PGA of America president Ted Bishop in a letter to the affected professionals, according to Darren Rovell of ESPN."

That's a hell of a career they must have? Working at a lousy Dicks department store?

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
That's fine, fire em all. The old dude who worked at the Dicks in East town mall here in Madison was annoying old bastard. Got to the point where I would go up the escalator and if I saw him in the golf section, I would go right back down.

Just because your store had a lousy pga pro doesn't mean they all were. I work at a Dicks as a second side job and our Pro is a good man. Never called out always happy to help. Married and has a kid and now he has no job at the drop of a hat. It's disappointing.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Just because your store had a lousy pga pro doesn't mean they all were. I work at a Dicks as a second side job and our Pro is a good man. Never called out always happy to help. Married and has a kid and now he has no job at the drop of a hat. It's disappointing.

Guess what...don't frickin care.

OP
MattyB

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Guess what...don't frickin care.
Meme would've been cooler.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1406161103.398459.jpg

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Well as ignorant as that is, I hope that you never walk into work only to be told to go home and not come back. It's hard enough finding a job out there.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Well as ignorant as that is, I hope that you never walk into work only to be told to go home and not come back. It's hard enough finding a job out there.

Happened almost 13 yrs ago, no big deal and I didn't bat an eye. If you have a marketable skillset then finding a new job is no issue. I'm sure "golf pro at Dicks" won't look all that awesome on a resume.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Not surprising. Dick's CEO was recently complaining about how golf sales were less than expected... by quite a bit. Dick's owns Golf Galaxy, Golfworks, and their own big boxes. The next move will be the closing of some Golf Galaxy stores. Once Dick's understands that the big box concept isn't working in this industry, perhaps we will see a resurgence of "Mom & Pop" shops.
TMAG has been closely tied to Dick's. The TMAG CEO is now complaining about sales numbers. Maybe now they'll only bring out a new driver every 6 months instead of every 3 months!!!

I guess I'm not clear on how the big box model isn't working? I think the industry as a whole is hurting as far as sales go.

🔥 Latest posts