• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PSA re: PGA on DTV

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Well, DirecTV has once more done a craptacular job of getting the word out on its expanded coverage of PGA major. So your bestest buddy Harry is here to save the day yet again by telling you everything you need to know. (Yay Harry! We love you Harry! You're the bestest Harry!)

Like the Masters and The U.S. Open, DirecTV will be broadcasting significant additional coverage of the PGA Championship. Starting Thursday, DirecTV will enable channels 701 through 709.

Channel 701 will be the "Mix" channel, which shows all four other broadcasts on one screen, in a "picture-in-picture" type format. The viewer can select the audio by highlighting one of the four small video feeds.

Channels 702 through 705 will offer HD broadcasts of (i) a simulcast of the network feed on TNT/CBS; (ii) a "featured group" channel that follows a single group from tee to green for 18 holes - usually once for the morning tee times, and a second time for the afternoon tee times; (iii) a "featured holes" channel that usually focuses on a par 3 hole and follows every group that plays the hole; and (iv) a "players in depth" channel that usually offers a higlights loop. Each channel has its own dedicated announcer(s).

Channels 706 through 709 offers the same content, but in SD format.

The broadcast will also have interactive features that allow the viewer to access pop-up leaderboards and any player's scorecard.

So erase all those old episodes of Hee-Haw that you watched a million times already and make room on your DVR boys and girls, 'cause you're going to have more golf than you can shake a hickory stick at.

DIRECTV: PGA Championship

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks Harry!

...for reminding why I'm a FOOL for not dumping cable.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks Harry. Anyone know if the DTV coverage is live only, or will it be also shown from tape at night? Some of us work for a living ;)

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
What's the deal? Do they ever actually show anything on these channels? All I get is a PGA Championship logo and bad musak. According to the schedule, it should be on... but I'm getting bupkus.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
What's the deal? Do they ever actually show anything on these channels? All I get is a PGA Championship logo and bad musak. According to the schedule, it should be on... but I'm getting bupkus.

1pm to 7pm Eastern Time.

Worked fine yesterday.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
1pm to 7pm Eastern Time.

Worked fine yesterday.

The schedule I saw showed it starting at 9 AM ET. Apparently not.

Noon to 6? WTF are they trying to do, actively prevent anyone with a job from watching? What's the point of having "all the action" in HD and only showing it when no one is home?

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
The schedule I saw showed it starting at 9 AM ET. Apparently not.

Noon to 6? WTF are they trying to do, actively prevent anyone with a job from watching? What's the point of having "all the action" in HD and only showing it when no one is home?

Ummm, because that's when it's being played? DirecTV is using the broadcasts already in place for the streaming video by the PGA.

Besides, it's no different from when the NCAA tournament is on TV in the middle of the day during the week.

And it's not like you can't record it with a DVR and watch it when you get home. That's what I do.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Did anyone watch any of the streaming video of the featured group?

Does Grant Boone EVER shut up?!?!?

🔥 Latest posts