• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Psychological help needed!!!!!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I practice a little more and practice focused. I practice like I am on the course, imagining shots and executing them.

I do almost the same thing except I practice on the course. If I screw a shot up, I will throw 2-3-4 more balls down & repeat the shot over & over until I get it right.

I will sometimes play the same hole 2-3-4 times in a row just to play it different each time.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I wish this was something that could be resolved with practice. Truth is there are few people who hold a real job that practice more than I do. 6 or 7 days a week I at very least spend an hour or more hitting balls, putting or playing on the course. The problem is all mental. If I had the mental game and a better putting stroke I am sure I could get to scratch. When I play alone or with random people I play to about a 3 handicap. When its competitive, there is money on the line or I'm playing with the Hecklers my game goes to crap. Its all in my head.

Dealing with my issue really makes me respect the tour pros so much more. They are bombarded with distractions while playing on unfamiliar courses and shoot low scores yet I can't block out one jerk in my 4-some at my home course.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
The thing is knowing where the line is. My buddies and I give each other our fair share of grief... but we know where the line is drawn. Sounds like you need to establish a line with your buddies or just stop playing with them. Or... again... just beat the piss outta one of em :thumbs up:

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I like the beating the shit out of them idea too but, do it with your score and not your clubs to their heads.

Learn to relish making smartasses eat their words.... Instead of them getting into your head, get into their wallets. That shuts people up every time.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Did I mention playing for money makes it worse for me. That is part of the heckling.

Quote from heckler: "just bet him a dollar......he's sure to f-up the hole"

Another from the heckler after I just hit a driver 50 yards past the other 3 down the middle of the fairway "Don't worry, he's still got to put."

Also the Heckler has nicknamed me "Bullseye" for my inability to putt under pressure.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Well, you obviously have been playing awhile if you can shoot in the 70s at times.

I would suggest you read a few of the "mental game" books out there and pay special attention to the pre shot routines to get off of being so results oriented.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Did I mention playing for money makes it worse for me. That is part of the heckling.

Another from the heckler after I just hit a driver 50 yards past the other 3 down the middle of the fairway "Don't worry, he's still got to put."

Also the Heckler has nicknamed me "Bullseye" for my inability to putt under pressure.

Why does it bug you so much? You admit they are hecklers, you know the situation objectively. Why not use the irritation to focus yourself? Take a deep breathe, and pretend you're a shark out for blood, when they heckle you, there's the blood.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Start drinking Rum & Cokes around the 12th hole. You be fine going into the last 4 holes.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'd recommend you take this into consideration carefully.

Anything they say will not affect the flight of the ball. YOU affect he flight of the ball. What they say can only affect YOU if you LET them.

Don't think about what they're saying; do your best not to remember. Literally forget they said anything. Let yourself be absorbed by the shot you're going to hit. Talk to yourself in your head about the shot.

I say "don't," but don't think of "don't" on the course. Rotella, whose book was recommended by Indacup, and whose book I also read (strongly recommend!) suggests this as well. Use POSITIVE reinforcement, even when your goal is to NOT do something.

Do not think to yourself, "Don't listen to those guys." Instead, think "Focus on the shot." When you think "don't" or "stop" your body will tense up, as it feels like it's being punished. Just redirect your energies. Toy with a golf ball in your pocket, or just smile at the hecklers.

in the end, you're the only one responsible for your score, and you know how you're capable of playing. Focus on your shots, and trust yourself to play the way you can.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006

All I can suggest is to make sure that you have solid pre-shot routine and you stick to it doggedly. That is how the pros shut out the distractions they face in a tournament, and I find that no matter what is happening around me when I start my routine, by the time I get to address, all I'm thinking about is the shot. I'm not saying that it always works perfectly (see my 11.1 index :rolleyes: ), but without that approach, there are times when I would become a total basket case. For me, it helps to put my focus on the shot itself, rather than on the significance of the shot.

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
I have been golfing with the same buddy for 5 years

& he gets to me, even though he doesn't know it. On the first tee, when we double up with two other golfers, he says something like "you should see this guy (me) hit the ball off the tee, last week he hit it............ and so on. For the longest time I would then try too hard and slice, top the ball or many other bad things. He'll do the say thing when I hit my 3 or 5 wood as I do sometimes hit it a long distance.

My solution,(that works sometimes), is to get the pre-shot routine done and then step into "the box", and then remind myself that NOTHING matters, not a siren, bell, bird, buddy, except making the best shot I can make. This is for every shot. Until I step into the box, I hear the chatter, and so on but it all disappears once I plant my feet for my swing,(or putt.) I sometimes lose my concentration, but most of the time when I keep "in that box mentality", I hit a good shot. I have let him know he shouldn't do it, but he doesn't seem to get it, or he does it on purpose.

🔥 Latest posts