• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pulling an R9 together.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I was at a driving range on Thursday afternoon and noticed they had a TaylorMade Fitting cart. I asked for a go of the R9 & R9 460 with the TP Fubuki shaft. Well what a lovely combo it was. Cranked the face as wide open as it goes and hit nice little draws down the centre. I prefered the 460 as I don't see why you'd turn down a bit of extra forgivness with the big stick. I don't think there was much between them in distance but the 460 launched a little higher, which I prefer anyway. I asked the fella if they'd sell me a 9.5* 460 head. He asked the boss and they agreed to sell me the one out of the cart. I wanted a X-Flex Fubuki 73 and they didn't have one in stock. I managed to pick one up on ebay for £70 and a couple of R9 TP shaft adaptors for $15 each, the bonus being the shaft is the real Fubuki in the White/Black which I think is a great looking shaft. I'm gonna put a White/Black multi compound grip on it and hope it out performs my Tour Burner TP. Just got to wait for the shaft and Adaptors to arrive now. The shaft should be here early this week but the Sleeves are coming from the US so may take a little longer. I hope TM stick with the FCT technology and after the R9 will sell new models in head only. I'm sure an updated Burner should be along anytime soon, hope this shaft can be kept and played in the new heads as and when.

It has cost a fair few quid but they were £269 new and they had a 2nd hand one for £235, not TP's though. Mines cost Head £100, Headcover, wrench & instructions £30, Shaft £70 and Sleeves £30 (for two) so thats £230 for a top spec with a spare sleeve. Can't wait to put this together next week and put it head to head against my TB TP.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
make sure the sleeves are real.. The fakes don't make any adjustment to the head, no matter where you line them up.

Check to see if there are numbers stamped on the tip end, and if you see milling marks in the tip section. They are drilled off center to allow the adjustment, and I've seen fakes that don't have that. So your Neutral, or L or R, aren't really any different.

Hope you enjoy it.. The 460 they says IS more forgiving, but I found the forgiveness to be marginal, and I liked the smaller head and lower flight personally.

I've got a 73X Fubuki in mine, and it's an absolute MACHINE. Set the FCT to Neutral, move the weight to draw, and I can turn it over, and lay it off and REALLY work the ball better than ever. Chopped the shaft down to size, and I'm getting center face contact more often!

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I hope they are real! The fella I've got them off has 100% positive feedback and has sold a lot of them! Thats why I got the head from a shop, I just don't trust buying TM gear off the Bay. hope I don't get my fingers burnt with them!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
iheartburner

She sells the real tips on the 'bay.. She's in Singapore and gets them from TM direct.. Shipping is actually pretty quick to you, as it's the longest lead time to make it to me, on the US east coast, it took me a week to get them. I got 2 for $50 shipped.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Can I have first dibs on the Burner TP?

Of course you can! I have two of them. One's a 8.5 Degree with a Fuji Fit On 150(ish) still not collected it from Andy (Acarty) and the other is 10.5 degree's with the Diamana in TP colours. Which would you be after Pal?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
lol, I needed the 9.5 hence why I just bought one, trust you to have the worng ones!

tell me what shaft I need! I am getting back again, about 20% better than when I played you, no stiffness in the back but I still prefer softer flexes though

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
lol, I needed the 9.5 hence why I just bought one, trust you to have the worng ones!

tell me what shaft I need! I am getting back again, about 20% better than when I played you, no stiffness in the back but I still prefer softer flexes though

I think the TP Diamana is a smooth shaft that can handle smooth flowing swings or fast aggressive swings. The TP Matrix I havn't used but I'd imagine it plays a little smoother and softer. I know that with the Tour Burner TP the 3 shaft choices are TP Matrix which is around 55g, TP Diamana which is around 65 and the TP Rombax which is around 75g. Not sure if that helps you pal? Is it a Burner TP or Tour Burner TP you've got? TB TP has a Black sole, Burner TP has lines on the crown in a T shape.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
Tour Burner TP head, in 9.5, 46 quid

im scared to see what my TM combo does
07 burner tp head with a 60g vs proto X, should be a cannon
i think i may have waisted some coin though, after my r9 i dont think taylor mades for me...(r9 driver preformed like a 5 wood, literally)

iheartburner

She sells the real tips on the 'bay.. She's in Singapore and gets them from TM direct.. Shipping is actually pretty quick to you, as it's the longest lead time to make it to me, on the US east coast, it took me a week to get them. I got 2 for $50 shipped.

i got some from her too
18 bucks a piece thanks to the best offer option

🔥 Latest posts