• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Puppy is about to be de-sexed

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My female mini-dachshund is almost 6 months old and next week she's booked in with my local vet for her to be de-sexed.

Was just wondering of the Shottalkers' experiences when getting their female dogs desexed.

What was the recovery time like?

Are they back to normal? (ie. no ongoing sensitivity on the belly)

Has their been a tendency gain weight? (no, not you. The puppy)

Any complications?

Apparently we're supposed to "keep her quiet" for a week or so and not let her do anything strenuous that might tear her stitches. Which'll be an 'interesting' challenge because she's a nut bag with an abundance of energy. Running around crazy is as natural as breathing to her.

All responses appreciated.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
When we adopted Abby, we picked her up from the vet right after the spaying surgery. Just told us to not let her get too rough with her own stitches. She could lick them, as long as it was momentary.
It seemed to have no ill effects. With any of our female dogs, we've never had an issue with spaying or recovery time/issues. Abby is the first one to have a significant weight gain. That, however, is not contributable to her being spayed.
She was picked up as a pregnant stray in Oklahoma. Taken to a kill shelter and rescued by a group up here. We agreed to adopt her once she had her pups and was spayed. She had 9 pups. After they were weaned, she went in for the spaying. As said above, we picked her up from the vet.
She was skin and bones. About 60 lbs. No hair from midsection back. Really looked bad. Slowly, her coat came back in. And, her ribs began to disappear. Her teats were hanging way down from nursing, and they began to dry up. She got up to about 75 lbs. and the vet said that was enough. Actually wanted her to lose a couple pounds.
When we took her for her rabies booster October 2017, she weighed in at 73 lbs. With the hot summer we didn't do much walking. And, she'd become pretty much a couch potato. Took her in a couple weeks ago for this year's rabies. Weighed in at 94 lbs.!!!! Put on 20 lbs. in one year. She is now on a very strict diet!!! And, we've been getting in 2 to 3 miles every day the weather permits. I'll take her in the first week of November and see if she has lost or gained any from the October weigh in.
She still thinks she is a "lap dog". A couple times a week, she'll crawl up in my lap when I'm watching television. You can imagine how much pressure the paws of a 94 lb. dog can exert as she tries to get comfortable. Once she gets laid down, it's not too bad. Still, almost 100 lbs. in your lap is a pretty good load.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I've had a few bitches in my lap over the years...

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1540169708.992548.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1540169783.271091.jpg

Taking puppy off to have it done. What an emotional roller coaster. These little buggers certainly find a way to burrow into your heart.

As I type this she’d be under general anaesthetic and about to have it done. Fingers crossed!

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
What was the recovery time like?
Our dog took a little bit longer than anticipated because she licked some of her stitches out. Dogs are resilient though.

Are they back to normal? (ie. no ongoing sensitivity on the belly)
100% like it never happened.

Has their been a tendency gain weight? (no, not you. The puppy)
None. In fact we actually had some trouble getting her to gain weight.

Any complications?
Other than her removing a few stitches, no. Like I said she was back to 100% in a few weeks.

Apparently we're supposed to "keep her quiet" for a week or so and not let her do anything strenuous that might tear her stitches. Which'll be an 'interesting' challenge because she's a nut bag with an abundance of energy. Running around crazy is as natural as breathing to her.
Which is exactly how our dog is. Super-hyper. She'll be fine and back to wanting belly rubs in no time.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks to all who provided anecdotes. She’s much perkier today now that the anaesthetic has worn off. She has a lovely placid nature so she seems to be taking it in good grace.

Now it’s just a matter of time.

🔥 Latest posts