• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

putter & 3 wood advice

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
So I am looking for a putter and 3 wood I have demo'ed a few 3 woods and liked callaways x wood and cleveland launcher but didnt really see anything else what do you guys think of these?

I dont know where to start at putters any suggestions on these would be nice thanks

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
putters are really feel clubs... you need to be comfortable with them and putting is almost all confidence, you need to be confident with it in your hands.

if you like the feel of a blade style putter more, scotty camerons are nice, but very pricey. if the mallet is more your type, then the odyssey is a popular pick but is alot of hype.

as for 3 woods, the cally x wood is great, very forgiving, more of a beginner to intermediate club, definately not for you if you want to work the ball a ton.

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
I am not worried much about shaping shots more of just long and straight right now.

so with putters it is more of a feel and such. With the different lengths like would a 33' make a huge difference over a 35' or vice versa?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Putters, just try a few out and see what feels good to you. My putter has electrical tape around the handle where a weight fell out. I don't really care, it still feels good to me and it works.

3Woods are tough. If you find one you can hit consistantly off the fairway, you're better than me. I usually play a 4wood or a 3W-5W combo and rarely hit a 3wood off the deck. Don't worry about "working" a 3wood. I don't want to hear that crap about "working" a 3wood off the deck unless the guy is scratch and averages like 2 to 3 under par. The average player, myself including, is lucky to just not hit a 50yd. wormburner with a 3wood approach shot.

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
off the deck i am fine with my hybrid it is good for around 225 but form the tee i need a consistent alternative thats where the 3 wood comes in to play

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Don't worry about "working" a 3wood. I don't want to hear that crap about "working" a 3wood off the deck unless the guy is scratch and averages like 2 to 3 under par. The average player, myself including, is lucky to just not hit a 50yd. wormburner with a 3wood approach shot.

He's totally right here. I love working my driver and irons, but the 3wood it's just plain tough. Possible, but not nearly to the effect of one of my previously stated clubs. So really, forgiveness is probably best for just about anyone.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I so happen to have a 33 and a 35 inch Scotty for sale, well not officially for sale I guess, but PM me if you are interested.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Putt with a Scotty before you buy it.

This poor kid I know bought one, went home to his backyard putting green made of real grass, practiced with it, hated it, and sent his mom back to return it while he stayed at home. It's a tough life.

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
scottys are probbly out of my range for a putter right now...

But thanks for oyur help guys

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
If you want a heavy, blade style putter, then the YES! Tracy or the Wilson Staff 8860 are great putters. The Wilson is real cheap as well

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I want everybody to notice that I didn't tell him to buy a Scotty.

Oops, never mind.:eek:

maggotspawn

Junior Hacker
Aug 12, 2006
I just picked up a King Cobra Comp 3 wood.
It's a very nice club, I like it alot, great off the deck, the ball just soars.
I picked it up brand new for $125 shipped...

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
do you guys have any experience with the sasquatch 3 wood...im going to try and demo some clubs tommoorw so any suggestions would be appreiciated

🔥 Latest posts