• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter Fitting

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Has anyone invested the time and money getting a putter fitting? If so, what system did you pick? What did you learn that you didn't know before? What changes were made to your stroke, angle, loft, shaft length, putter head weight, grip, etc.? And, did the fitting result in you either purchasing a new putter to the fitting specs, or have your current flat stick tweaked to the fitter's specs?
Thanks for any feedback.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
My technique was to buy putters till I found one that worked. Of course a fitting would have cost a lot less than the 20-25 putters I had here at one time.

Finally settled on a solid copper, face balanced Byron Morgan. About 34.5" and 360 grams. Very nice stick, lives with the Leprechauns now.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
After Keegan won the PGA, I called my friend who is a clubfitter and said I wanted to get fit for a belly putter. Went over there that evening, his fitting center is in his garage and a putting green in his back yard, and found a head I liked the look of. Then he temped it onto a long shaft and we messed around until I found the right length. He had to order the grip and a shaft, and a new head not a fitting head.

Four days later he called and said it was built, but because the grip is so big, he didn't want to put it on until we could measure one last time. I went over there, and we found the right length and cut the shaft to that. He then slid the grip on and I went out to the green. The lie angle needed to go way flatter, so he took it into his shop a few times until we got the bottom sitting flat at address with my eyes over the ball.

Been sinking putts ever since.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Aug, do you anchor the putter in your chest or belly? How do you grip it? Just curious, I see so many variations.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
What did you keep, wire?

A laguna with a blue flame finish, a copper catalina, and a Pre-Titliest Classic that had been engraved for tour use. None are particularly valuable, but I just liked them.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Aug, do you anchor the putter in your chest or belly? How do you grip it? Just curious, I see so many variations.

I anchor the butt end of the putter below my belly button and above my waistline on my shorts. I have a 21" Ping grip on there, so I just take a normal grip.

Members online

No members online now.