• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter grip

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Pulled the oversize Tiger Shark grip off the SC putter and put on a Ping grip (ala Tiger? :D ) since it was the only decent one I liked (no SC grips around here). Now I can feel the head again and it's back to when I first got it.... deadly straight and on my line. Amazing how a simple thing like a putter grip can make or break how the club works. I've learned a valuable lesson here... don't mess with perfection. :D

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yeah I hear ya... I've looked at those oversized grips and I just can't help but think they would really F me up.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
A couple years ago I tried about 4-5 different oversized grips, but after time ended up going back to the normal.

IMO, a 100g Tour Lock Pro does far more than an oversized grip (or any other change on my putter for that matter) ever did for me.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I've had the opposite result. I put one of those giant winn grips on my putter and it has made a huge difference in my putting. I tend to be very 'wristy' with the putter, so it helps me more than others I guess.

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
I'm in the middle. A normal grip feels small to me (all my clubs have midsize grips) so I went with a Tigershark but I lost all feel. I replaced it with a Winn Midsize pistol and it's perfect.

I like the idea of an oversize grip and it helped me put the ball on line but I just couldn't get the right distance control with one.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Warbird I just tried out the Ping man grip myself it is bar none one of the best putter grips. I had a Winn that was oversized on my older putter and I just don't like the feel of the Winn's.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Now I know why Tiger plays the Ping grip on his SC. It's a fantastic combo. Now to whip up on ejdahl21 and nututhugame tommorrow. At least on the greens... :D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Petrifying Springs between Racine and Kenosha. Putting on long johns now. :)

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I couldn't imagine having an oversized grip on a blade style putter. I had one on my Rife Mr. Beasley (a mallet) and it felt PERFECT. But whenever I'd try one at Golfsmith, it always just felt terrible...couldn't feel anything.

LTCMARCPAUL

More demanding player's clubs / better golfer!
Jun 24, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Country
I went back to the stock grip on my PING Craz-e putter and immediately satrted putting better with it again. I like the way the oversize grips feel but I need the thin grip in my fingertips to putt well!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Played 18 today with the Ping (normal size) grip and the only thing I could right was putt. :)

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
WBL,

If you don't mind the 20minute drive to Gurnee, you will find some SC grips at Golf Galaxy. That is where I got mine in the spring.

P.S. I wanted to go out with a new shaft in my J33 today but had no grips. I went up to Dick's in Kenosha and they were closed...anyone know why? There were no signs, lights but a few construction vehicles.

🔥 Latest posts