• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter Project: Part 1

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I love my Callaway Tour Blue putter that i had customized a while back. So much so, I decided to get a second one to fool around with as a refinish project. Since I already have a sandblasted model, I wanted to go with something different. A raw strip, sanded, or whatever looked cool.

The first step was removing the Blue anodized finish off the Tour Blue. I don't know what NASA paint theu use, but it's impervious to everything. Paint gel, acetone, drano, you name it, it does squat. So, I decided to use elbow grease and buff it down to the raw Ti. This took me about 2 days, off and on. Ridiculously slow and tedious.

I'm toying with keeping it raw, or going with a gunmetal black.

Anyways, here's early stage 1.

R35

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The more I look at this thing, the more I want to leave it raw. Just add the medallions back in and redo the paintfill.

Hmmm.

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I agree, it looks pretty sweet just like that. If you change your mind down the road, you can always refinish it.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I have always liked the look of clubs left raw, so I vote to do exactly what you just said. Although gunmetal black would look pretty cool too.

It will be a great looking putter no matter what you do with it.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That looks like crap! ;)

Raw looks pretty d@mn good so I vote keep raw and just add paintfill and medallion. Then again, gunmetal black would look sick...

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm sticking with the Raw look. After throwing the medallion and Chevron back in, it's pretty nice.

Now, a shaft. Anyone have a Nippon putter shaft kicking around? :prop:

R35

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Ask LaMont how he got the paintfill out of mine. Probably find him on WRX at some point.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ask LaMont how he got the paintfill out of mine. Probably find him on WRX at some point.

Acetone and some patience. It's pretty simple.

I just don't know what colour to go with.

White?

Dark Grey?

Blue? ;)

R35

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I'd go with white and translucent blue. White for the Callaway and the TT2 on the front and the trans. blue for the chevron on the face. I think with the raw color the white would pop big time.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Chevron is chromed, so I don't know how that would go over. But, i am liking the translucent blue option.

I'll have to check the model shop, see what they have for candy blue.

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nice style looks like the old Ping Pal putters

The Anser was always a winner. Pal has been copied almost as much. The only difference is the material - this is milled Ti with Tungsten inserts. Super heavy.

R35

🔥 Latest posts