• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter style preferences

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
What type of putter do you play, a mallet or what i think is called a blade (your typical scotty cameron look) with my recent putter problems i'm thinking if it might be the style as i use a mallet putter, anyone know the pros and cons of both styles, i used to have a "blade" putter but it was in the 83 oldsmobile that was stolen so i lost that,

thanks all

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
I play a centre-shafted mallet putter because the extra weight helps me to put more of a stroke rather than a hit on the ball. Also, the centre shaft helps me to keep the face square at impact - I feel like I am more prone to closing the face with a traditional putter.

Having said that, I hate my putter at the moment (because I'm **** at using it) and have thought about getting something more traditional like a Ping Asner. But I'm sure if I did I would eventually tire of it also - like they say, a good tradesman doesn't blame his tools...

If you are going to buy a new putter I think Mickleson has the right idea - have 2 putters of differing design and use whichever feels comfortable at the time.

Another thing to consider would be shaft length ie. a longer shaft may help you with more of a pendulum stroke...

or not...

Putting is all feel though - as scientific as the game has become (spin rate, launch angle etc) I think putting is still considered an artform so use what feels natural

:)

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I use the Bullseye (blade) putter for several reasons:
1. Simple design
2. Great Feel
3. Very easy to manipulate as it's the most evenly weighted putterhead you'll get in the world
4. Easy to stroke with

If you're putting badly, and you think it's your stroke, try these simple drills.
1. Push the ball without making a backswing. This gives you a feeling of distance, plus it forces you to accelerate the putterhead when striking the ball. Then make your normal backswing and strike the ball with the followthrough.
2. When you strike the ball, stop the putterhead just before impact to see if it's square.

The rest is alignment and feel. I guess you already know all of those stuffs, but I find that when I putt badly, it's mainly because of deceleration.

Great thread Young Gun.

PS: If you're looking for a blade putter, there are clone putter heads that has the bullseye design, since Titleist doesn't do them anymore.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Gun,

I play a blade style putter, the White Hot #2. But that's irrelevant.

The best putter for your game is the one you feel the most comfortable over. It's as simple as that. If you need a new flatstick, go try all of them out. And I mean all of them.

If you choose a 300 dollar Scotty Cameron, or a 15 dollar component putter, buy it. It's just that important. Comfort is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to golf. If you have no confidence and you're uncomfortable with your putter, good luck on making putts.

Try them all out. You'll be surpised which putters you'll love the feel of, but hate the look, and vice versa.

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
well, if i keep chipping and pitching like i have been then there won't be much need for a new putter, i think i'm just going to have to put in more time and effort, would anyone recommend having an artificial (spelling) green put in

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
comfort!! exactly!!!
its exactly like your grip it should be comfortable to you. however there are certain specs that matter and it will make your search more mannageable to understand these and which putter types possess which qualities. swingweight is always going to be a huge factor in putter preference however it is not the spec that i want to go into here.

toe-hang is one of the most important aspects of putter design. toe hang is, in short, the degree measure of the angle that the putter will balance on when held under the shaft. take your putter and at the balance point of the shaft hold it with one finger and notice the angle of the clubface. The effect of toe hang is as such:

more hang means that the club will want to gate more in the stroke (most common style in "blade" type putters) and therefore tend to be preferred by those with more arched putting strokes and will most often help those players make more putts.

conversely, mallot style putters which are most often face balanced which are best suited for those with straighter more pendulum like strokes.

its similar to offset on irons the offset causes the clubhead to balance closed and therefore encourage the player to swing the face square.

some of the newer back weighted putters suck as the ping craze and nc voodoo (heel shaft) actually balance with the toe slightly ahead of the heel, for those of us with strokes that are really straight and square because in reality the face balanced putters do work best with an arched stroke, an arch created by a pendulum that extends higher than the lie angle of the putter.

I hope ive helped, of course most of this is probably unclear so dont be afraid to ask for clarification.

Members online

No members online now.