• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter weight and playability

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
So as most of you know I'm a putter ho and I bought the Heavy Putter B1 a few weeks back.

The head weighs 475 grams (including the pre-installed stainless steel tip weights) and there is a 250 gram weight in the grip end of the shaft that creates a balance point that is 75% higher up the shaft than a conventional putter.

It is 2" longer than the length I prefer, do you think if I removed 2" (and thus the additional weight) would it severely affect the way this putter swings???

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So as most of you know I'm a putter ho and I bought the Heavy Putter B1 a few weeks back.

The head weighs 475 grams (including the pre-installed stainless steel tip weights) and there is a 250 gram weight in the grip end of the shaft that creates a balance point that is 75% higher up the shaft than a conventional putter.

It is 2" longer than the length I prefer, do you think if I removed 2" (and thus the additional weight) would it severely affect the way this putter swings???
Maybe but you can always bring it back with lead tape of its really bad. What length are you cutting it down to,

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
There's seriously a huge lead weight in the shaft at the grip end.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1386466342.242867.jpg

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
Someone correct me if I'm wrong; if you take it down 2' you either need to add 10g to the head or remove 10 grams from that massive lead weight. Either or should maintain the same weight that it is now, assuming the same weight grip is used

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Someone correct me if I'm wrong; if you take it down 2' you either need to add 10g to the head or remove 10 grams from that massive lead weight. Either or should maintain the same weight that it is now, assuming the same weight grip is used
In most cases I would agree, but in this case the head is 450g so it's hard to say how cutting that much off will affect the feel of it.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
more like 40. thats a 4 club difference.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
With the extreme backweighting of the shaft, I'd be fearful of chopping 2" off. Could make it awfully "spooky" with all that weight hanging on the end of a light shaft. One option would be a longer grip. SuperStroke makes a 17" "belly" grip. Golf Pride, etc., have their belly grips at 21". The 17" grip would allow you to move your hands down to where you're comfortable, yet would keep the putter feel much closer to factory.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
With the extreme backweighting of the shaft, I'd be fearful of chopping 2" off. Could make it awfully "spooky" with all that weight hanging on the end of a light shaft. One option would be a longer grip. SuperStroke makes a 17" "belly" grip. Golf Pride, etc., have their belly grips at 21". The 17" grip would allow you to move your hands down to where you're comfortable, yet would keep the putter feel much closer to factory.
I was considering this. Bubba Watson is playing a belly grip on a standard weight putter, I assume it is to add weight to the shaft.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The SuperStroke is much lighter weight than a similarly length grip in more traditional material. Yes, if you add the slight weight difference between a longer SS grip and the normal grip to a standard weight putter, you might notice a difference. That weight difference should be insignificant, percentage wise of gross weight, on the Heavy Putter.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
But isn't the point of the heavy putter for the head to feel heavy? If you cut down 2" and add a longer, heavy grip to the shaft isn't that defeating the purpose of the "heavy putter"? If that's your goal than perfect, but it seems to me that that would it serve to make your bag heavier and not help your stroke.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
But isn't the point of the heavy putter for the head to feel heavy? If you cut down 2" and add a longer, heavy grip to the shaft isn't that defeating the purpose of the "heavy putter"? If that's your goal than perfect, but it seems to me that that would it serve to make your bag heavier and not help your stroke.
My daddy long legs is not grossly imbalanced from head to hands but is the heaviest I own at 22oz. The heavy putter is just gonna give a yipper more weight to push and pull their yips against without being effected, and, the overall weight, once moving, produces a nice follow through as they are harder to stop. The effect is a smoother stroke. I love the weight of the thing. The damn head is the size of my foot though. It makes lining up tougher.
If you put your headcover on the head and practice put with it and the head moves back sort lagging behind your hands as you swing back and through rest assured an head heavy putter will have the same effect in destroying your putter face alinement.

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
my daddy long legs is not grossly imbalanced from head to hands but is the heaviest I own at 22oz. The heavy putter is just gonna give a yipper more weight to push and pull their yips against without being effected, and, the overall weight, once moving, produces a nice follow through as they are harder to stop. The effect is a smoother stroke. I love the weight of the thing. The damn head is the size of my foot though. It makes lining up tougher.
If put your headcover on the head and practice put with it and the head moves back sort lagging behind your hands as you swi g back and through rest assured an head heavy putter will have the same effect in destroying your putter face alinement.
Right, that's what I'm saying. If he cuts it down and adds a heavier grip, the head won't "feel@ so heavy-thus defeating the purpose.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Right, that's what I'm saying. If he cuts it down and adds a heavier grip, the head won't "feel@ so heavy-thus defeating the purpose.
if it was balanced good and you take 2 inches its gonna get light headed a lot.

🔥 Latest posts