• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putters

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
We all love them and with all the sexy putter pics on here lately I thought we should have a putter discussion.

As most of you know I'm a recovering club ho and have had a ton of...well everything.

So what brands do you like? Design? Normal or counterbalanced?

I'll go first. I really don't have a preference on brand, I've probably had one of most of the usual suspects. Just picked up a Bettinardi and I'm hoping it can knock the FrankenPutter II out of my bag.

I tend to lean towards the Odyssey #9 style or a heel shafted mid mallet but the FrankenPutter II is a heavy center shafted Belly Putter head and I roll the ball nice with it! Go figure.

I like counterbalanced putters, helps keep my hands quiet and the weight just feels right. If a putter is too light I tend to get to handsy.

Ok guys, your turn.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Putters are probably my favourite thing to Ho. I too am not too picky on brand. But I do lean towards mallet style, heel shafted putters. I have a small Scotty Cameron collection of three putters. A Del Mar and two GoLo's. They make appearances in my bag but only on certain occasions. Seems like a waste, but I just can't bare to give them up. Currently I'm gaming a Ping Scottsdale TR counter balanced putter with a super stroke upgraded grip. I too am a fan of the new counter balanced putters, it's probably mental, but I feel like it has really improved my putting. I also really the true roll grooves on the face of the club. I have tried YES putters and RIFE as well and these TR grooves are by far my favourite.

Ok there's my two cents... Next!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Started out with the old 8802/8813 heel shafted putters. Probably had a couple dozen Anser style... still have two or three in the basement... and never putted will with them. Seemed to gravitate to the mallets. Then, came back to the heel shafted... again... with the currently bagged Odyssey #9. I enjoyed my Odyssey #7. Putted well outside 8 FT with it, but could not make a 12" to 24" putt to save my soul. Mallets are supposed to be good on short putts. Just cannot get them to work for me. My confidence over short putts has totally returned with the #9. Son-in-law got pretty upset, today, with my putting. I was saving par from almost anywhere on a green.
I've not used a counterbalanced putter on the course. Just can't wrap myself around why all of a sudden this seems to be "magic". I'm certain the concept has been tried, probably numerous times, over the years. Now it seems as if the Golf Gods gifted the game with this spectacular design.
The #9 is working now. If it decides to upchuck, the #7 will go back into the bag until the #9 decides to play nice. About ready to go "pawn shopping" for an old 8802 or 8813 as a winter project.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I used to love the Anser putter from Ping, the one that had that distinctive "PING" sound when you hit it. For awhile all i looked at was that style or the Newport from SC. One day at Dick's on a whim I hit a Odyssey heel shafted #9 version and got the purest roll from a natural feeling stroke ever. Since then all i have looked at are those style putters.

I have an Inazone now that i like the look of but it could be softer. I had an odyssey for awhile but have found Odyssey putters tend to be lighter than i like and i dont like to add a bunch of lead tape. I may try a Scotty heel shafted, not crazy about the price though. I wish Ping made a heel shafted putter like the Odyssey, Ive been a Ping putter guy for awhile.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
My old stand by.

pal_4_large.jpg

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I used to love the Anser putter from Ping, the one that had that distinctive "PING" sound when you hit it. For awhile all i looked at was that style or the Newport from SC. One day at Dick's on a whim I hit a Odyssey heel shafted #9 version and got the purest roll from a natural feeling stroke ever. Since then all i have looked at are those style putters.

I have an Inazone now that i like the look of but it could be softer. I had an odyssey for awhile but have found Odyssey putters tend to be lighter than i like and i dont like to add a bunch of lead tape. I may try a Scotty heel shafted, not crazy about the price though. I wish Ping made a heel shafted putter like the Odyssey, Ive been a Ping putter guy for awhile.
Take a look at the Ping Piper H or Ping J-Blade.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've tinkered with the heel shafted putters before. Still have my snake eyes viper in the garage which I used for a good year or so. But have recently gone back to the traditional style blade putter, NC Exchange 6 currently.
Used to putt open stance with the snake eyes but never felt I had any consistency. Scrapped the open stance and I couldn't hit the heel shafted putter anymore. Found the NC 6 and voila, started getting real consistency with line and length. Even became a strong part of my game during stages.
Can't see myself changing this set up tbh. However the final tryout will probably be an Odyssey 2 ball putter, have always wanted to see how they go.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I game the Nike Method 001 and don't foresee that I'll ever part with it. It was love at first sight/use. I've always liked the look of the anser style putter. The Method has a dot for alignment which I prefer over a line. The feel is great.

In my scramble last week, whilst most of my game was rusty, I drained some terrific putts including the breaking 20 footer on the last.

With due respect to others, I really can't understand why someone would pay a thousand bucks plus for one of 'those' putters. Your old faithful will probably sink more putts.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The heel shafted designs seem to suite my stroke for some reason. I pull putts when the putter is offset. I don't use a sight line or dot. As my sig indicates, I'm using a Odyssey #9. I use the two parallel lines created by the bumpers for alignment. So I don't like putters with curves, like the SC Del Mar. I don't mind if the putter has a curved body, I just want the machined cut-outs to be square with the face. If that makes any sense, lol.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The heel shafted designs seem to suite my stroke for some reason. I pull putts when the putter is offset. I don't use a sight line or dot. As my sig indicates, I'm using a Odyssey #9. I use the two parallel lines created by the bumpers for alignment. So I don't like putters with curves, like the SC Del Mar. I don't mind if the putter has a curved body, I just want the machined cut-outs to be square with the face. If that makes any sense, lol.
The Odyssey #9 is the perfect looking putter for me. My issue with them is the weight. If they would make a heavier model is be all over it.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online