• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting alignment aid or not?

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Been killing time tonight and got onto the topic of 'naked' putters and 'sighted' putters.
My current gamer is a 'naked' snake eyes blade putter. Have been struggling with accuracy lately and decided to grab from the garage the NC Exchange putter (traditional style putter) with a sight line on the back of it and have some hits with it inside.
But upon reading, so many posts on this have been negative towards the sights. Unsure if this is biased based on the question asked but got me thinking anyway.
What do you guys prefer?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I think it all really boils down to personal preference in the end and what you come to learn works for you. I am currently putting with a Ping Scottsdale TR which has a very prominent alignment aid. It's the first putter that I have ever owned with this severe of an aid, but you know what it's growing on me. I also putt with a line on my ball and this is where the alignment aid comes in handy. After reading my putt and choosing my line, I line up the ball on that line. I then take a quick look from behind the ball confirm my line and address the ball. By lining up the line on the ball with the line on my putter, there's no doubt of my chosen putting line. I find that very reassuring and from there only focus on the pace of my putt. I am by no means going to be breaking onto tour anytime soon, but I do feel my putting is improving a lot!!

That all said, I have tinkered with putters with no markings on them at all and had some success, but for one reason or another they ended up replaced.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Putters are more personal than underwear. You will find some who suggest everyone needs an alignment aid... and others who suggest just the opposite. It's whatever works for you. And, what works today may not work tomorrow.

I rely on an alignment aid. My #7 really frames the ball and leaves no excuse for not lining up correctly with your intended putt line. However, we have an on again/off again relationship. Sometimes she has to go into time out as punishment. When that happens, the Anser 4 comes out and it has an alignment line.

There are so many different aids. You can find putters with a dot... a sight line... "framing" sight lines... "object" alignment aids (2 Ball putter)... perpendicular aids... (Versa, etc.)... and no aids ("naked", as you call it). Putter weight can make considerable difference in your putting success. I don't think enough folks are aware of different putter lofts. If you "forward press"/deloft the putter, you need more loft. If you had a flat stroke, less loft.

If you attempt to bother yourself thinking through all those variables, you will consistently be inconsistent!! Go to a shop that has a number of different putter styles. Putt with several until you find one that seems to stand out. Put it back on the shelf and go home for a couple days. Go back and putt with ALL of them again. If that one stands out again, buy it... or one like it. If another seems to win on that second trip... go home and try again in another two to three days. After a number of trips trying numerous styles, you will begin to gravitate towards one.

#1 Commandment of owning a putter.... "Never purchase a putter based on the success of anyone other than yourself!"

OP
MattyB

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah I think it was just a late night thinking session lol.
But I'll definitely give it a try. I'm a straight back and through putter so thought lining up with the ball an the alignment aid would work wonders so will give it a whirl.

OP
MattyB

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Left the Snake Eyes in the boot today. Used the GM2 on most of the greens when mucking around with putting.
Have to say, distance control became so reliable. Sunk 2-3 decent length putts. Had a few mishits when lining up the ball mark with the alignment line but thats more something id get used to when finding the sweet spot more often.
Got a superstroke slim 1.0 coming for it, might have a change of putter for the season.

🔥 Latest posts