• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting grip

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
So I was in a local golf store last week (I was supposed to be xmas shopping for my wife) and stumbled upon the new California line of putters. I noticed the new shaped grip that is on them. It's called the pistolero grip or something like that. It felt really good. Anyone else have any experience with these?

I'm really having a crisis with my putting grip right now(how I hold the putter, not the grip itself). I've been practicing my putting a lot lately and, wow, it's getting worse. I'm curious how you guys grip your putter as opposed to the rest of your clubs. I need to try something new.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I putt left hand low. Started this some years back and cannot get away from it. I've tried to convert back to the more traditional grip, with no success. The left hand low just seems to come naturally.

Picked up a like new Odyssey White Ice "Fang" from Callaway Pre-Owned when they ran their Black Friday sale. Only have a half-dozen, or so, rounds on it. But, it seems to be working okay. Still the honeymoon. I've tinkered with oversize grips on my putters. Have one with a reverse taper on my Scotty right now. That reverse taper doesn't feel right with my left hand low and it may come back off.

WBL has experienced excellent results with his broomstick. I've been tempted to try a belly variety, but just cannot bring myself to do so. If this "Fang" keeps working, great. If not, I've still got the Scotty and a half-dozen Pings in the basement.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
10ft and in and I love left hand low. It just feels so automatic.

My huge problem is lag putting i can't get right left hand low. I have very little distance control for longer putts. I have thought about switching grips on the putting surface, I just haven't had a chance to give it a good shot(and won't for several months now).

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
ag,

I am another left-hand low guy. Just did it from day one without any conscious thought.

Ultimately, putting is first and foremost about accuracy, both in speed and line. Because it is not about simply maximizing head speed like in full driver or iron shots, you really can embrace a wide variety of styles. And the speeds are low enough, that most any form and function can be repeated until committed to memory. Another function of the speed being so low compared to the regular shot is that all these different flavors of putters out there... shaft centered vs. heel shafted; high toe hang vs. low toe hang vs. the few with no toe hang at all; heavy vs. light; face balanced for straight back-straight through vs. ones balanced for an arcing stroke; etc.; etc... all of that really comes down to your preference and feel. Don't take me wrong here -- those are very important for an individual to suit their tastes -- but mechanically, there is little justification for them. That is, your hands can provide the small amount of torque needed to prevent a non-face balanced putter from rotating open or closed if you want to do a straight through-straight back stroke, if you want them to. Or your hands can rotate that face-balanced no-toe hang putter in an arc stroke, if you want them to. All that adds up to choosing the putter that fits what you are looking for visually and in feel. It took me around 4 or so putters over about 4 or so years to find it, and I only found mine after I went back to one I had abandoned to the back of the closet and put a bunch of lead tape on the bottom of it.

And unfortunately, that ends up being about all that can be said... if you don't have 'it' just naturally, the only way to get it is to practice your putting a lot until you do get the speed and line accuracy hands down. A change in grip/stance/method can help keep the mind focused, but really, it becomes about the work ethic. the X in the row drill is the best at this, if you have the patience and fortitude to do it. 50 3 foot putts in a row, for example. The nice thing about this drill is that it replicates at least somewhat the on-course pressures. Because as you start to sink #42, #43, #44... you will feel the pressure to not to want to have to re-start at #1 if you miss....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
And, my problems are just the opposite of eclark's. When my putting breaks down, I'll miss the short ones. There are days I'll miss 3 or 4 putts inside 2 FT... "gimmees"!!! And, yes, we putt them all out in our group. Long putts?? Understand, our course had smaller, 'postage stamp' greens. From anywhere on the green, I know I'll either roll it in or leave in with 1 to 2 FT. There are days I would rather have a 15 footer for bird than a 3 footer.
I've tried oversize grips to make the short putts happen. The Scotty has a Super Stroke Slim on it right now. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I've only got a few round on this "Fang". So far, it seems like it wants to flow through the stroke and has been fairly reliable on the shorter putts. The proof will be in the Spring when the greens are back to their normal consistency.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm surprised at how many of you putt left hand low. I've tried it several times and it doesn't feel too bad. I'm working on feeling the stroke more in my left hand than I used to...although I'm still using a conventional over lapping grip. My problem is releasing the putter head properly. I tend to pull a lot of putts. So I've been trying to hold the face square longer through the stroke...like the straight back, straight through method(SBST)...even though I don't believe there is a such thing as SBST, because when you putt, the club is going to be on an arc path no matter what.

So yeah, I'm in the same boat as Limp. I'm a good lag putter and I pride myself on that. It's the short ones that kill me. I'm having a hard time starting the ball on line.

Also, I can't putt for long periods of time because my back starts hurting after about 15 minutes. Funny thing is, I can hit full shots for an hour and it doesn't bother me.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Super Stroke Ultra Slim is what I've switched to. Non tapered and for whatever reason it transformed a putter that I'd stopped using into a magic wand. I won't tell you stories about how I couldn't make anything and now all of a sudden I sink everything I look at, but my distance control has dramatically increased and when I look at the whole I now think I can make it or I have at least a reasonable shot at sinking the putt.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Also, I can't putt for long periods of time because my back starts hurting after about 15 minutes. Funny thing is, I can hit full shots for an hour and it doesn't bother me.

This makes it awfully hard. Have you tried a longer putter to not have to bend over as much? Or, dare I ask, a belly or broomstick style putter? It may be just as simple as bending at the waist at the same angle as your iron swings.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Also said:
I have the same problem, thats why I went to a sternum/mid length putter, now I can practice as long as I want and its really helped. I'd try that if it was me, swallow your pride and swith to at least a belly putter so you don't have to bend over so far. I expected my playing partners to rag me over it, but when I lag up a 20 footer to taap in distance and quit carding those 3 and 4 puts, they shut right up, lol.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Yeah, I don't know about the long putter. You guys are making me seriously consider though. I would definitely catch hell from my buddies, lol, and I cringe at the idea of my putter sticking out of the bag higher than my driver. I know that's stupid and I shouldn't be like that. Plus, it's a money thing too. I like the head on my putter. Re-shafting would cost who knows...then what if I don't like it.

As I type this I'm thinking of going and trying a few broomsticks out. Maybe like a 40 to 44 incher. I'm thinking mine is too short anyway, (my way of justifying it) I'm using a 34" and I'm 6'.

Thanks guys.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Yeah, I don't know about the long putter. You guys are making me seriously consider though. I would definitely catch hell from my buddies, lol, and I cringe at the idea of my putter sticking out of the bag higher than my driver. I know that's stupid and I shouldn't be like that. Plus, it's a money thing too. I like the head on my putter. Re-shafting would cost who knows...then what if I don't like it.

As I type this I'm thinking of going and trying a few broomsticks out. Maybe like a 40 to 44 incher. I'm thinking mine is too short anyway, (my way of justifying it) I'm using a 34" and I'm 6'.

Thanks guys.

Golfsmith sells a putter extension, I think its 9 inches long, for $3.99, add in the cost of a 17 to 19 inch grip, $12.99- $21.99, and a little lead tape to increase the head weight and wahlah, you've turned your favorite putter into a belly putter for under 30 bucks.

🔥 Latest posts