• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting lesson anyone?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've been playing this game for over 40 years and never had a putting lesson. While I figure I'm decent on the short stuff, one of my regular playing partners got fitted for a new putter and he was "lasered" up. He's decent with the flat stick but according to the data, he had a bunch of angles way off. Once sorted out he professed to putting much better. In fact the following week he was putting "lights out". So I figured, rather than buy another new flat stick, I would invest in a 90-minute lesson on the Sam Putt Lab, anyone heard of this? It uses lasers, cameras, and probably some sort of mind-bending voodoo to make me putt like Seve.

So lockdown starts tonight for 14 days (see my other thread) and that's where I'm off to after work today, to beat the lockdown. I'll have two weeks of practicing on the carpet at home with my new stroke (loads of potential for inuendos here!!) before unleashing the new me on the links. I'll be the "boss of the moss" when I get back to playing. (Always the optimist!)

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I've been playing this game for over 40 years and never had a putting lesson. While I figure I'm decent on the short stuff, one of my regular playing partners got fitted for a new putter and he was "lasered" up. He's decent with the flat stick but according to the data, he had a bunch of angles way off. Once sorted out he professed to putting much better. In fact the following week he was putting "lights out". So I figured, rather than buy another new flat stick, I would invest in a 90-minute lesson on the Sam Putt Lab, anyone heard of this? It uses lasers, cameras, and probably some sort of mind-bending voodoo to make me putt like Seve.

So lockdown starts tonight for 14 days (see my other thread) and that's where I'm off to after work today, to beat the lockdown. I'll have two weeks of practicing on the carpet at home with my new stroke (loads of potential for inuendos here!!) before unleashing the new me on the links. I'll be the "boss of the moss" when I get back to playing. (Always the optimist!)

Sounds like a quality investment!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ok, so here’s the scoop. The putting lesson was mind-blowing. Once connected up (he fixed a strap on sensor onto my putter) he got me to hit 6 (x15 foot flat) putts to act as a baseline. The amount of data collected on these putts is incredible. It simulates your stroke down to a microscopic level. I holed three putts and thought, hey I’m good.

Once we looked at the data I felt like quitting the game. Here’s what we discovered:
  • I aim the face right
  • I address the ball towards the toe of the putter.
  • My path back is good but my path at impact and beyond is way inside.
So he spent 30 mins working with me on a few drills to counter these faults. It made a lot of sense. Not easy to make instant adjustments but I could sense immediate improvement, both from feel and sound. He got me to stand a little taller, but outside that, nothing much more.

At the end he got me to hit six more putts. I made ALL SIX! You can see the data and the improvements in the before and after photos. While my tendencies improved greatly, my timing and consistency suffered a bit, but as he said, that is to be expected with changes. It will take a while to groove it in.

Tendency – aim, face, path, spot, rotation
Timing – swing durations, impact timing, rhythm
Consistency – Repeatability of all aspects
Overall – 25% tendency, 25% timing, 50% consistency

It was a good investment as it saved me from buying a new flat stick. I have 3-4 things to work towards over the coming weeks, but I am expecting to see an overall improvement. Let's see. And as far as I know, I was not hypnotised!!

must buy a new putter...must buy a new putter...must buy a new putter...

Attachments

• PuttAftr.jpg
    PuttAftr.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 127
  • PuttB4.jpg
    PuttB4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts