• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting on a new grip 101 - By none other than Ian Poulter

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Neat that he does it himself. But geez, why not just put a jumbo sized grip on there with all those tape layers?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Neat that he does it himself. But geez, why not just put a jumbo sized grip on there with all those tape layers?

Cos he wants 5 layers for his right hand and just 2 for his left and a normal grip will taper and not give the feel he wants.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
From memory, Poulter turned pro when he was only a -3 handicap. I don't know if he was a club pro at the time but suspect he had picked up the skills to do club stuff. Different from the pampered pooches who turn pro as a teenager or out of the college circuit.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
What's the big deal about regripping clubs. Even a monkey could do it. (No offence to monkeys intended). I'd be curious how many of you pay someone else to regrip your clubs. Now that's just silly.:beach3:

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
What's the big deal about regripping clubs. Even a monkey could do it. (No offence to monkeys intended). I'd be curious how many of you pay someone else to regrip your clubs. Now that's just silly.:beach3:

I don't think the big deal was that he knows how, but the fact that he DOES it himself. I bet not many of the elite players can or are willing to do it. Including Phil and Tiger.

Poulter was a club pro, he worked his way up the ranks and into the PGA. Unlike the majority of the pros who went straight from their college team to the PGA, never having held a real job and earned a normal paycheck.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009

A monkey could also change the oil in his vehicle, as could I. But it doesnt bother me a bit to spend the extra $20 to have Jiffy Lube do it. Call it convenience, or laziness, but it doesnt bother me one bit to spend less than the cost of a round to have someone take care of regripping my clubs for me.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
A monkey could also change the oil in his vehicle, as could I. But it doesnt bother me a bit to spend the extra $20 to have Jiffy Lube do it. Call it convenience, or laziness, but it doesnt bother me one bit to spend less than the cost of a round to have someone take care of regripping my clubs for me.

I can see the oil thing cause it is a bit more involved. I always did my own oil until it became a problem to dispose of the old oil. As for grips its incredibly easy, there is no mess, and it requires minimal tools. I enjoy doing it and its a good way to spend a winter evening or a down day in the summer. It also saves a few bucks as I remplace them at least twice each season.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
From memory, Poulter turned pro when he was only a -3 handicap. I don't know if he was a club pro at the time but suspect he had picked up the skills to do club stuff. Different from the pampered pooches who turn pro as a teenager or out of the college circuit.

Did you mean a plus 3 handicap or just a 3 cap? I know Feherty turned pro and I'm not certain what his # was but it was higher than you would expect for a tour pro.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I can see the oil thing cause it is a bit more involved. I always did my own oil until it became a problem to dispose of the old oil. As for grips its incredibly easy, there is no mess, and it requires minimal tools. I enjoy doing it and its a good way to spend a winter evening or a down day in the summer. It also saves a few bucks as I remplace them at least twice each season.

I too can see paying to have your oil changed. I will not however pay to have somebody regrip my clubs. For one I like doing it and 2- I can get it just the way I want it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Did you mean a plus 3 handicap or just a 3 cap? I know Feherty turned pro and I'm not certain what his # was but it was higher than you would expect for a tour pro.

The latter. 3 handicap, aka -3 handicap. I give him credit for backing himself.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The latter. 3 handicap, aka -3 handicap. I give him credit for backing himself.

Feherty actually said on today's broadcast that when he quit school as a senior and turned pro he was a 5 handicap.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
use air and their is no mess at all. Poulter is so old fashioned with his solvent and shit

🔥 Latest posts

Members online