• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting or course design book as far as reading greens or course.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just curious if anyone has any recommendation for a book regarding this part. I really don't want a book as far as techniques on putting, if the book has it I would actually ignore the technique sections. I think my speed and technique around the greens are fantastic and possibly as good as it gets, but was noticing recently that my reading of the greens could be refined.

Anyone have any recommendations on this? I would imagine Pelz putting bible would have alot of this? Any other options people know of that are better?

Examples>
Mainly something with reading the contours of the greens and the drainage and how it effects the breaks. How sun will effect certain aspects over the course of the day and different types of grass. How balls will break off towards the water. That kind of stuff. If it involves the same for the entire course even better, but definitely regarding the greens. Any thoughts on what any have read?

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I think a lot of golf books touch on this subject but don't go into lots of detail. Stan Utley's Art of Putting book has a little info but probably not enough to buy the book if that is all you are interested in. Also I think Zen Putting has a few pages on this.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This is exactly what is needed. If we could all read greens like Tiger we'd have much better luck. And the grass (from what I've read) type such as Bermuda can offset break if it grows toward the sun etc etc... :emot-ange

I've had the best luck "plumb bobbing" even though many say it doesn't work. I can't believe you can stand on a green and tell the tilt.

When Tiger writes a book on this I'll buy it!! :D

How to Read a Golf Green | ExpertVillage Videos

Caddy Tip about How to Read Greens

Golf Tips - Reading the Greens

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Doubt I'll follow the first one, he had to have run that 10 foot putt about 15 past the hole. :laugh:

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I always just imagine if water was poured on the entire surface of the green, how would it run because of gravity. That being said, I suck at reading greens, I feel that a lot of the time I don't give myself a chance to sink a birdie putt because I mis-read it. Sometimes my best putting day is when I'm pushing or pulling putts, offsetting my mis-read :D

That first guy really made me laugh, his explanation was pretty fun and then he topped it off with running the putt by the hole outside of the camera's view.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I always just imagine if water was poured on the entire surface of the green, how would it run because of gravity.
That is the kind of book I am looking for. I think I saw in an old Pelz show that there is actually what he refered to as spine on the green for how the water runs and you can actually read it based on the coloration of the green. I believe the lighter parts being the high points. I had imagined that kind of info was in the Putting bible, but am now starting to think maybe that is not the case. Plus if that is the only kind of reference and it is just hidden in the book, then it wouldn't be worth it.

Maybe checking out course design books may be a better option.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.