• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting prob.- Trigger & Takeaway

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Hoping someone can lend some insight here.

I have very good fundamentals putting (setup, stroke, putter specs, what not), but......
I have a huge problem on my takeaway and in my back stroke (last 2 yrs). I can not get the putter started smoothly. I've got this big wobble once the head gets away from the ball and I know I tense up a little then thinking I'm off line.
I'm actually a pretty good putter even with this nuance but I know I could be better. I just never feel good when starting my back stroke. I'm relaxed and comfortable over the ball, practice strokes are smooth. I'm very smooth when looking at the head of the putter but not when focusing on the ball. I've tried putting looking at the hole, looking at the club, eyes closed (these lead to smooth strokes but not so good putts). I've tried breathing techniques, heavy putter, light putter, grip pressure, all to no avail. I'm lost here. I'm pretty sure it's turned psychological more than anything, but would love for some ideas or thoughts, maybe someone else has had this problem.
Fwiw, this has been going on for 2 yrs now. I have arthritis in my hands and they shake if I'm holding them out in front of me (frostbite years ago), bit like I said everything is good until I focus on the ball (back to psycho?). And also fwiw, I'm pretty athletic with good hand-eye coordination (if that rules anything out). This also seemed to pop up around the time I tried to smooth my stroke out (equal strokes on both sides), I used to be a short back and accelerate through, but had prob. with dist. control. (Going back to this helps some.)
Thanks in advance to anyone reading through this whole thing with any ideas. I can post a video also if that helps anyone.

Edit: In social scrambles when I drink, I gets better as the round goes on (back to psycho. and tension?)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
You're thinking about it way WAAAAYYYY too much... just putt the damn ball! :thumbs up:

OP
Hos

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
That was quick, now I see why!:faintthud
Thanks Mr. Obvious!!
JK, That would explain why the booze help. I just think it looks bad to show up wasted. Putting is great, but you have to be able to get it off the tee 1st.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Hrm lets see.

*insert video clip that I can't find of Cheech fixing Costner's swing on the driving range of the US Open*

-Turn your hat around backwards
-Put change in opposite pocket
-Stick tee behind left ear
-Hit ball

;)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I work on my putting stroke on the living room carpet. I'm not worried about the speed so much as I know my carpet and bermuda grass aren't going to roll the same speed. I just work on a smooth flowing stroke, aiming at the leg of the tv stand. Then when I get on an actual green, it feels natural to just line it up and putt. Like slick said, try to not think about it too much. Find your aiming point, gauge the speed you think you'll need, and fire away. What's the worst that can happen, a miss?

Another thing that has helped, on the practice green I place 4 tees in a square around the hole 1 foot out. Then just work on getting the ball inside the box. Great for working on your lag. And once you stop worrying about sinking them, you'll be surprised how many start dropping.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Another thing that has helped, on the practice green I place 4 tees in a square around the hole 1 foot out. Then just work on getting the ball inside the box. Great for working on your lag. And once you stop worrying about sinking them, you'll be surprised how many start dropping.

ooooo I like that idea! Gonna have to give that a shot!

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Build a routine that takes your mind away from the stroke. I used to do this sergio thing when I putted and I would jerk the club away and do all kinds of stupid things.

I built a routine that basically is count by numbers.....I take two practice strokes.....address the ball......look at the hole (1)....look at the hole (2) and stroke on (3)......never even think about anything else.

Jason

OP
Hos

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Good stuff to try out - thanks guys for the quick replies! I may have to give the Cheech routine a try.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Build a routine that takes your mind away from the stroke. I used to do this sergio thing when I putted and I would jerk the club away and do all kinds of stupid things.

I built a routine that basically is count by numbers.....I take two practice strokes.....address the ball......look at the hole (1)....look at the hole (2) and stroke on (3)......never even think about anything else.

Jason

I do basically the same thing but 1-- look at the hole, 2--look at the ball, 3--backstroke, 4---impact, 5---look at the hole.

Going to 5 keeps me from "peeking" and pushing the putt.

The whole routine happens without stopping.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've had good luck using a slow backswing and stopping it before stroking it. Fiddle with different grips. It relaxes you working on something new.

Also, I was tightening up so much I couldn't buy a putt until these guys told me to just putt it.

I'd work on getting a good read and then just hit the putt. Thinking makes it worse and worse as I found out.

:)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I would say definatly make a major change in your setup or grip. You have gotten into a bad habbit with that setup so you need to get out of it.

How you do that, is up to you, but there are definatly some good suggestions in this thread now.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
On the actual greens in a round, my routine is this. Line up behind the ball after getting my read. I take two practice strokes to gauge my speed, looking at the hole, not the ball or the putter head. Then I walk up to the ball, drop my left hand to my side, line up the putter head to the spot I have picked out, replace my left hand on the grip, look at the hole, look at the front of the ball, and fire away. Give it a try, or modify it to suit your needs. But like Clark said, you are in a rut right now, so break away from that routine completely.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The term you used "Wobble" would lead me to believe a Forward Press or more of a Forward Press would work. It stabilizes and locks your wrist.

To me this sounds like the Y word, and I know anytime I have ever felt uncomfortable in something similar to starting my stroke a Forward Press seems to help. It will also give you the trigger you are looking for and one of the reasons I think it works for me. The second I do the forward press, it is time to go. Also gives you something specific to concentrate on, to take your mind off of what ever is messing you up.

Good Luck!!

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Run...do not walk...do not hesitate...put on your shoes and run to the local book store and get the audio version of this book:

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_5172ANHREML._SL500_.jpg

OP
Hos

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
All your suggestions have been great, thanks. Actally stumbled upon something today that might be working for now. Just had to figure out a way to free up my thoughts and, as Slickpit said "just putt the damn ball" Actually able to stick to my pre-shot and start the stoke without any thoughts. I think it basically comes down to trusting the line and stroke and trying to putt almost unconsiously. If this works long term, was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Even curious once the 10 inches of snow leaves, to see if I can transfer this thought over to my swing. Btw, indacup - been wanting to read that as I've heard him with Kessler on XM. What I found today is right up that alley, just someone elses variation.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.