• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting rut

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
This totally sucks! The last three rounds I played, I have left no fewer than six putts out there to be had, shorter than six feet. I don't want to get into the mode of switching putters when I get into a rut. I know I can put with this putter, just don't know what the hell is going on. Any suggestions to get rid of the funk?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
What is the history of misses---short, right, left. Give yourself something to work on

I was missing on the high side most of the time. Turned out I was putting ball too far back in stance.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just keep trying it. Also, big thing, despite everything that has happened thus far in a round, always feel confident over your putt.

And always, ALWAYS, remember...you have a beautiful Dobie at home.

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
Don't get down on yourself and don't buy a new putter. I think that tour players only make something like 60% of their putts from 6 feet and out and these are the best players in the world playing on the best greens you will ever see.

Chances are you just missed by a little bit and remember as long as you hit the putt on the line you wanted at the speed you wanted you "made" the putt. Sometimes you "make" a putt, but you do not "hole" the putt. It happens.

Now, if it felt wrong as soon as you hit it, there is nothing wrong with figuring out what to work on. However, only you can do that. Like the earlier post, try to see if there is any consistent miss you are seeing. Then try to figure out what to do to get rid of it. However, keep in mind your misses might be caused by something different each time. For example, sometimes I pull the putt, sometimes I push the putt. I've learned how that feels. However, whether or not I've pulled or pushed the putt, the problem is usually because I've lined up too open and not square which prevents me from correctly releasing the putter head. I use a heel shafted putter because I putt with an arch and not straight back and straight through.

I think it is really hard to figure out this kind of stuff if you keep switching putters. If your putter fits your putting stroke you can tell. You will like the way it looks at address and like the way it feels when you make your stroke. Take your time and don't be too hard on yourself....

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
What is the history of misses---short, right, left. Give yourself something to work on

I was missing on the high side most of the time. Turned out I was putting ball too far back in stance.

zaphod

My misses have been left. I've had the ball just left of middle of stance. Does this mean if I put it in the middle of my stance I'll have better luck? :)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Sometimes what I like to do is go to a putting green, try different types of strokes, grips, ball placements, just to see what works. I'll usually go back to my old stance, with a few minor changes. Usually for the better. What I finally realized is how much better my putting is when I look for the hole out of the corner of my eye and follow my putter through straight towards my target or the hole itself, it seems like a given, but I was surprised how many people just stare straight down at the ball, not using their peripheral vision to see whats around them. I had a ton of lip outs and sunk a few long ones.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Psh, i have been in a putting rut since the first time i picked up a putter...pretty much a constant state for me.

Good luck getting out of the rut though...

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I loved Stan Utley's book "The Art of Putting". It really helped me with my putting stroke. I probably dropped 4-5 strokes per round on putting since reading it and practicing. Of course I found other ways in my game to give back those 4-5 strokes.:D

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
I've been putting horribly lately. I 3-4 putted dang near every green Friday. Finally I realized what I was doing wrong. Of course it was the 16th hole before I figured it out! By the next round, I'll probably forget again...

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I only had 2 3-putts today. One was on a really trick green, not very well maintained. A huge double break and I misread it. The other 3 putt was on a green that was getting baked all day. It's in a position where the sun is on it all day, so I put the putt waaay past the hole and my second just missed.

My favourite putt of the day was a 12 footer. This hole is next to Main Street, so there's a lot of noisy traffic. I was eye-ing my putt, and then I heard a loud siren and super loud horns. There were at least 4 fire trucks and ambulances that passed while I was lining up, and a huge honk in my backswing, and I nailed the putt. My partners jaws just dropped. Mine did too. A very fun round.

OP
nixdad

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
I think I figured it out. First, I straightened up. My posture was a little bit hunched, so I straightened up. I kind of feel as though I'm sitting back toward my heels a bit.

Next, and I do believe this was the key, I stopped peeking at the putts. I was looking to see where the putts were going as soon as they left the putter. Now I make a conscious effort to keep my head down.

With those two changes, I have made some great putts of all lengths. I am a happy camper again. Shot a 77 and 74 back to back on Saturday and Sunday on courses I've never played.

Thanks for the suggestions.

🔥 Latest posts