• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting speed killing me.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I see a long putter in fisher's future.....................

SiberianDVM
I found this website...

LONG PUTTERS

Wasn't for me though... just looking around for something to do....:emot-angel:

My son and I played a Robert Trent Jones course---The Legislator----while the Grey Goose Pro Tourney was played. The tourney was played each morning uand then use hackers could play in the afternoon. Grey goose is one step under the Nationwide tour.

Anywho the green were spectacular. Rolled very day--consistant speed---limited spike markers---manacured pitch markers---very fast. I have never made so many 10 foot plus putts in my life. When conditions are right you can sort it out. Your stroke or the green conditions.

zaphod

SEE? I KNEW it!!! ;)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Speed used to be my main issue.

Putting it on the right line was easy as cake, but it was putting the right speed on it that killed me.

This season, for reasons unbeknown to me, i have speed control down pat. It always ends up hole high or a foot or so past the hole...i can see the line, but for some reason i can't hit the ball down the line i choose.

I just need practice, but i don't have the ambition to go out and practice putting.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'm am making it a point of progressing through a routine in putting this year. Seems to be helping.

Determine line and speed while behind ball.

Address ball and establish putter alignment

Trust the alignment

Look at the hole to determine the speed of the putt. Get that distance firmly in your mind

Stroke the putt within 2 seconds of the final look.---In that final 2 seconds I ignore all swing thoughts just focusing on the image of the cup and line.

The key is TRUST which allows for "feel".

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I'm am making it a point of progressing through a routine in putting this year. Seems to be helping.

Whenever I am putting poorly I can almost always attribute it to not following my routine.

When I was playing college tennis you would not believe the amount of practice time that the coaches on the moments in between points. We would literally spend around 12 hours a week specifically training modulation and routines. I have used some of that training / knowledge on the course but this actually has me thinking that I need to employ even more of it.

If anyone has any interest in sports psych let me know

john

edit:
Just saw Watney talking to the press about what he feels he has to do to try and win and he said .......... "Stay in my routine"

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
Try this for green speed , "Putter head Alinment remanes the same" ( if the greens are slow ,keep the putter head where its and press the hands forward a little , this increses forward roll. (deloft)
If the greens are fast drop the hands back to achive more loft on the putter, which produces less roll .( increse-loft)
The grip pressure on the Putter should be so light ,it feels as if it will fall out out your hands. This gives a great feel for distance.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I try to make everything. I just try to make it die in the hole. My putting has -knock on wood- been pretty good this year. I think the biggest thing that is helping me lately, especially 6 feet and in, is keeping my head still and believing in my line. What I mean by believing in my line is, sometimes when I address the ball it looks like it will break more or less than when I read the break from behind the ball. I just trust my original read, commit to it and try to hit it on that line.

As far as getting the speed right, fisher, that just takes a lot of practice. How much time do you spend on the practice green before each round? I will spend every bit of 20 minutes on the practice green before I tee off. If that is not your problem then maybe you need to try a putter with a soft face insert.

Aint that the truth...believe in the line. Countless times do i read and read and read it...only to get over the ball and mentally call an audible and do something else, and end up missing. Played yesterday, had a really good round up for grabs, and my putting batted it away. I have always been a much crappier putter at this particular course then anywhere else. Sure the greens are really fast and a lot of deceptive breaks, but I think the fact every time i play it all i hear is ppl talk about how tough the greens are that its made me mentally suck there. On the first 9 I think i had a total of 7 GIRs. That is typically unheard of for me...what isnt is i didn't birdie 1 of em, lmao. Siigh.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I played 9 holes with some friends yesterday. Had 3 makeable birdie chances. Result? Two pars and one bogey.... :1898_:

I had been putting really good after trying the Briny right foot back stance but these changes only seem to work for 1-2 rounds and then I suck again. And I follow my routine.

Let's see, what can I try?

Open stance?
Different grip?
Different putter grip?
Long putter?
Belly putter?
One of those short, short little putters?
Pool cue?

If I could putt I'd be dangerous, seriously....

:mad:

See my review of my new chest putter in reviews forum

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.