• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting Style

LeftHandLow

Mar 30, 2006
I am new to this site so if putting is on here I couldn't find what I was looking for. With my new Mezza putter I am trying to set the club down left of center place my Left hand on the club first low as I can,then the right hand with a slight foward press as I start the stroke. I find it to make more solid contact and the ball rolls out nicely.:miz: I have never been a good putter but with this putter that is changing.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
LeftHandLow said:
I am new to this site so if putting is on here I couldn't find what I was looking for. With my new Mezza putter I am trying to set the club down left of center place my Left hand on the club first low as I can,then the right hand with a slight foward press as I start the stroke. I find it to make more solid contact and the ball rolls out nicely.:miz: I have never been a good putter but with this putter that is changing.

Different types of putters definitely require different putting styles, and putting styles are very individual. That's one reason that there are so many putters out there.

I prefer to putt with an open stance, with my right (dominant) eye over and slightly behind the ball, the putter held close to my body, stroking the ball with a right-hand bias, straight back, and straight through. I feel my right palm pushing the handle through the ball, towards the hole. Nothing pendulum about it.

So my setup is to get my line from behind the ball, then, holding the putter in my left hand, place it behind the ball so that the handle points directly to my left hip and the ball is off my left heel, which I place about 35 degrees open relative to my right foot. I position my body so that I can look directly down the line with my head over the ball, then step in with my right foot. It works for me. I average 32 ppr, and should be less, but my chipping/pitching is atrocious, so I have a LOT of long putts. I'm pretty good at long lag putts.

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
You definitely have to do what feels right to you.

I am naturally a fairly good putter, and the main thing I see letting me down is not having a solid and smooth enough backswing and follow through, mostly because I hesitate under pressure.

So if it feels right to you, keep doing it that way and just try to clear your head so you can get the smoothest possible stroke.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.