• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting, then chipping, then irons, then driver

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I played yesterday and was +2 coming into the 9th hole. If you would have seen me on the tee you would have never believed me. I learned something very important that maybe many of you already know, but it really stuck with me after yesterday. The order of importance when it comes to scoring should be Putting, Chipping, Irons, then Driver.
I have always been comfortable driving the ball. I'm not a long driver, but respectable and by my standards pretty accurate. I have never been a great chipper. I have a decent putting stroke but never practice.
Well yesterday I hit 3/7 fairways. I was ALL OVER the place. My irons were straight, but my distance was off. My chipping was pretty darn good. My putting was phenomenal. And guess what, I had my best scoring round of the season!
It didn't take much either. Over the past couple of weeks I put in 30 minutes of putting twice. And 30 minutes of chipping three times. I didn't just putt or chip. I really tried to work on it. Alignment, a flat left wrist, ball placement etc. And it all paid off. Its where its at boys. Short game is for scoring, I'm a believer.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It's amazing isn't. My best round this year involved me being a bit wild off the tee (during that round, I actually hit a house from the tee & the ball bounced back onto the course) but on that day my pitching, chipping & putting were on fire.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have yet to have a good chipping and putting day this year and yes, my scores haven't been very good. I blame some of the putting problems on atrocious greens though. I don't know where all the good greens keepers went but they must have left Wisconsin.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The last few weeks I have been concentrating my practising my irons and hybrids. Just a few driver swings to make sure it still goes relatively straight. Hardly any putting and chipping practice.

So naturally, in my tourney Saturday, my driving was all over the place, couldn't hit any iron or hybrid except crooked, and the only thing that saved me was my putting and chipping.

I give up.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I have yet to have a good chipping and putting day this year and yes, my scores haven't been very good. I blame some of the putting problems on atrocious greens though. I don't know where all the good greens keepers went but they must have left Wisconsin.

They sure as hell didn't go to Red Tail in Lakewood, IL. For a course that charges around $65 a round on the weekends you would think they would be a lot better.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
If you are not getting up and down at least half the time around the green and if you have more than 2 3-putts a round then a good way to shave strokes is to work on the short game.

🔥 Latest posts