• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm going out to play in a little while. I have a big dilemna I must sort here, I don't know what putting grip to use. lol. I've been practicing with the overlap, double overlap, interlocking (my old grip) as well as messing with the reverse saw. My distance control is always pretty good, comes out of my right shoulder but my aim control has been way off this year. Any suggestions on sorting out my aim? I've also been considering having my lie angle changed on my putter, it's most definitley too flat, seems even worse since I shortened it.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm going out to play in a little while. I have a big dilemna I must sort here, I don't know what putting grip to use. lol. I've been practicing with the overlap, double overlap, interlocking (my old grip) as well as messing with the reverse saw. My distance control is always pretty good, comes out of my right shoulder but my aim control has been way off this year. Any suggestions on sorting out my aim? I've also been considering having my lie angle changed on my putter, it's most definitley too flat, seems even worse since I shortened it.

LOL - you're a putting grip ho too!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004

It seems obvious but, did you reset swingweight after shortening the shaft? Of course, shortening would totally mess with lie angle too.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My putting has been awful until the last couple of weeks. Like you I had good speed control but terrible aim. What I did:

Continued to use a reverse overlap grip.

Bent over more at the waist so that my arms hang straight down and my eyes are directly over the ball.

Use the line I drew on the ball to line it up. This is the tricky part for me, as what I see lining it up from behind the ball is not what I see standing over the ball, BUT it's a starting point.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yep. I may go with the double overlap, in which my left index and middle finger overlap my right. With that grip I have the face very solid and square, back and though. It's worth a shot I suppose. I can definitely see I need to keep the left out of the stroke for anything but just stabilization, I can putt nearly as well with my left behind my back.

I'm even considering messing with left low. I often clean up putts left handed and that stroke is surprisingly solid.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It seems obvious but, did you reset swingweight after shortening the shaft? Of course, shortening would totally mess with lie angle too.

I added the backweight into the top again and the other day I took the weight plate off the bottom and put like 10 strips of lead tape under there. This will be the 1st time out with more weight in the head.

My putting has been awful until the last couple of weeks. Like you I had good speed control but terrible aim. What I did:

Continued to use a reverse overlap grip.

Bent over more at the waist so that my arms hang straight down and my eyes are directly over the ball.

Use the line I drew on the ball to line it up. This is the tricky part for me, as what I see lining it up from behind the ball is not what I see standing over the ball, BUT it's a starting point.

I just hit a few on my practice mat and the reverse overlap is ingrained big time. Everything else just feels way too weird. I might try using the line on the shorter putts today, I use it at home just to see if they are end over end straight, which they are. It's really mostly the aim thing, I'm sick of having a putt finish 3 inches to the side, 3 inches long. "Are you too good for your home!!"
icon10.gif

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have always preferred the feel of taking a normal grip but reversing the overlap and putting your left index finger over your right pinky. Again, just feels better and allows for consistency of hand placement in putting your right hand on first to the exact spot then placing the left and not having to readjust the grip

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I use the reverse overlap but put slight pressure (still light grip) of both palms together and it keeps my wrists from getting into it. Has made a big difference. I'm also taking a more smooth "stroke" instead of "banging" it like I used to. Getting the wrists calm was my main problem. :)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Man did my putting suck today. On the front my line was good most of the time, left everything 6inches short. On the back I had good speed but horrible reads. By the end I couldn't make anything outside of about 2 feet, yipping it big time or something. I shot a 92 with 38 putts.
icon9.gif

Seriously thinking about just getting a new putter and trying to put this crap behind me.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have used 4-5 different putting grip and stances in the same round LOL. You sure as hell dont want any advice from me.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have used 4-5 different putting grip and stances in the same round LOL. You sure as hell dont want any advice from me.

Yeah, it sure sucks. I need to do something or just start missing more greens. I 3 putted 3 GIR today.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
So what constitutes a "good" putting round for amateurs like us? Realisticly?

To me it would be:
No 3 putts.
Not missing anything over 4 feet.
Which would probably average out about 32-34 putts per round.

To do that all you have to do is:
Put your first putt inside a 3 foot circle.
Make all those easy 3 footers.
Make a few of the ones that you luckily got within 10 feet with your approach shot.

It's an easy game.

:D

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Just to chime in on what Siberian posted....i personally am the worlds worst lag putter....most of my three putts are from outside 15-20 feet or longer because I can't put it inside 3 feet from 25 feet. I think this is a huge problem for the "weekend golfer".

This may be stupid but during my little run of good scores I have been working on approach shots from 75-125 yards for about an hour a day. I havent picked up a putter during practise in a month or so. I decreased my three-putts dramatically by working on getting closer to the pin. Guess that is an obvious after affect of hitting better approach shots and does not really mean I am putting better but it has worked thus far. My current five round average is 31 putts versus 36 for the previous five rounds.

Jason

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just went over my card, 38 putts is just not acceptable for hitting only 4 greens. I should have like 26 with my chipping and 4 fricken greens. Irons were obviously not on, I was pulling a lot of them. This is also a Donald Ross course, as most of you know the pin would have to be a foot off the back and the ball on the front fringe to have an 18footer at one of his courses. :laugh:

I checked out some putters at the shop but none did anything for me. Redwood is still the one I like best that they have, just not $250 "like" though. They had a Cameron stainless on the used rack. It said Newport 2 and 303 on it. I swear this thing was fake or something, the milling on the face looked super cheesy. It also looked to either be bent open or someone did a very terrible job installing the grip. I passed for the $109 they wanted on that.

🔥 Latest posts