• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Oh, I also hit a few mallets. Those are all definitely out, yuck. I'd rather hold my 3W open and putt with that.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
at the league yesterday, i had 5 GIR in 9 holes, rest of them the approach shots were w/in 20yds.

0 1-putt
4 2-putt
4 3-putt
1 4-putt

3 pars, 4 boggies, and 2 double boggie
came out the nine holes w/ 44. my putting SUCKS.. like ez told me the other day, i should change my screen name to FourPuttBoggie

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ez, I always consider myself a pretty good putter. I only average about 3.5 GIR's per round. While I would be disgusted with 38 putts with 4 GIR's, I think you may be setting your goals a little high with 26 putts. I average and am happy with 29 per round. Every now and then I get around 26 or lower but you still have to be able to chip the ball within a few feet to consistently 1 putt and if you usually average more GIR's, it is likely you have less experience chipping. With 26 putts you are assuming you will 2 putt the 4 you hit and 1 putt 10 of the 14 you don't hit. This assuming you have 0 three putts

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Aye, 26 is a little aggresive.

I'd say try and average 30. That allots 12 two putts, 6 one putts. Seems pretty solid putting there.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My avg. last year was 30.2. My chipping has been a tad off but it's more the putting. I need to clean up inside 5ft. every time. I went over Tiger's book there, "How I play golf" just to get a look at the basics again. I think I'm too hunched for one and definitely not staying down on it. I also haven't been using the "forward press" as consistantly as last year. That was the one tip that took me to sub 30 for the last 2months of last year.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I also haven't been using the "forward press" as consistantly as last year.
Anytime I find myself missing within 5 feet, it is usually easily solved by checking into my forward press. Just went through a phase in the last couple weeks and again this solved the problem. Probably missed about 1/2 my 5 foot or less putts for a week. Spent 20-30 minutes practicing them with the forward press in mind, as well as not bringing the putter back as far. Problem solved.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I putted a lot better today. 33 putts with 1 3 putt from about 35 feet across a "bowl". I didn't get the read correct and sure didn't leave it short. :laugh:

I've commited to the double reverse overlap and changed the preputt routine.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Hey Ez,

Have you ever thought you are thinking a bit too hard? I usually putt best when I don't think at all. I read the putt visualize the arc of the ball and putt.

I went through a period last year getting way too technical on my putting and was having a hard time of it. I personally discovered two things about my putting. If I think about putting down a line to a spot that is not the pin I will usually put to the spot. Weird? After I realized this I started visualizing the ball following an arc to the cup go in the hole pop out and then back along the arc to the putter. I will trace this arc over until I have the putt in my head.

I guess what I am trying to say is you might get better results by forgetting the technical aspects for a while and try to regain the feel of the putt. Watch the ball off the putter and let your brain absorb the results. You might find your touch. Then again you might find that you are a technical putter and none of this will work for you....

There is one thing that I read about putting that makes a lot of sense to me. The article said that great putters use the same putters year after year and use the same stroke. This is when I decided to stop with the analysis of every grip position, angle, type of putter, etc. and simplify the stroke to putting the ball in the hole... good luck!

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
There is one thing that I read about putting that makes a lot of sense to me. The article said that great putters use the same putters year after year and use the same stroke. This is when I decided to stop with the analysis of every grip position, angle, type of putter, etc. and simplify the stroke to putting the ball in the hole... good luck!
Talk about the tail wagging the dog -- obviously good putters won't ever want to change their stroke or putter.

I totally agree with the rest of your post though, the less thinking when you're over the ball the better.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I try not to get too technical with it on the course. That's sort of why I wanted to switch up this year. Consistancy. The grip, hopefully, will put the face square every time, no wobbling in the backstroke like I used to get a little of. The same routine is also something I work on at home and then just do every time at the course. A lot of my problems were/are stemming from alignment issues. I hate to say it but I may have gone overboard cutting my putter down. I pulled out the 35" I have and I can stand taller and see the path much better. I may break that one out for next round.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
I use the reverse overlap but put slight pressure (still light grip) of both palms together and it keeps my wrists from getting into it. Has made a big difference. I'm also taking a more smooth "stroke" instead of "banging" it like I used to. Getting the wrists calm was my main problem. :)

I use the reverse overlap and make sure my palms are opposing each other. This locks my wrists out of the swing and engages the bigger muscles -shoulders-to start and finish the stroke. I use this for all putting. As long as I feel my palms directly opposed, I am conficent my wrists will not be incoporated in the stroke, and my distance control has been very consistent. Aim has been aided somewhat by the putter in use and its alignment lines.
Coach

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, I joined up with Twofast for a quick 9 before dark. I brought the 35" Tear Drop with the full shaft offset. I think I may bag this for a little while. I didn't putt all that great but solid 2 putts all the way. Then, on the last hole in virtual darkness, I can see the stick from around 30ft. downhill. I take a practice stroke, step up and knock it, I can't see $hit so I just keep my right eye focused on the back of the ball. I look up just into time to see it roll home into the heart of the hole. So either I need to close my eyes or keep my "quiet eye" on the back of that ball till I hear it drop. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts