• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting

How do you Putt

• Total voters

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
30 putts per round is about my average but I want to get that down a little, in search of help I went to my all knowing Uncle and he said that putting is about hitting the ball instead of puting a smooth stroke on it. Now this hitting a putt used to be in fashion when Bobby Locke etc were playing but does it still work today?? All opinions apreciated as ever.
HELP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I voted "other" as I putt best when I am very smooth with my stroke but also "hit it" firmly. I switched to a much heavier putter with a polymer insert this year because I was having such a hard time with my older, lighter putter feeling just how firmly I was striking the ball. The ball seemed to jump off the face and I was having a really hard time judging the distance it would roll. I was leaving myself way too many 4-6ft. second putts.

The new putter is a softer feeling face and with the covers that are on balls these days it makes putting feel more like the "old days" with balata covered balls to me. I've improved my lag putting dramatically and I feel like anything from about 10ft. and under is makeable now.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I think anyone who has paid the least attention to my prior posts knows I putt like a crack addict going through withdrawals, so I chose other, given that you didn't have that as an option.:laugh:

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
'Bout the only thing I can do on a golf course without looking like a fool. I can pretty much grab anything I've got lyin' around & come in under 36. If it's one I'm experienced with, about 30 is a decent day.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
well - i always seem to hover around the 34-36 mark, which is pretty crappy really. Especially bad when you hit 9 greens, 6-25 feet - and make 0 birdies :(

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
well - i always seem to hover around the 34-36 mark, which is pretty crappy really. Especially bad when you hit 9 greens, 6-25 feet - and make 0 birdies :(

Don't you know that the more greens you hit, the worse your putting stats become. Hit the green, 2 putt... maybe even the occasional 3 putt. Miss the green, chip and one putt. Not many birdies that way, but your putting stats look great. For most of us, good putting stats just means we are good chippers, but lousy ball strikers. :(

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
As to "hitting" versus "smooth stroke" I find my putting is best when I "roll" the ball, I feel like I have a whisk broom at the end of the putter shaft and just sweep the ball into the cup. The faster the green, the better I feel this works.
But then again, I may be full of it also :).

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I try my best to put a smooth stroke on. Basically let the line hole it, not try overpower it. Greens have been aerated recently and still a bit lumpy and bumpy. I miss 4 or 5 per round that are only 2 revs short. Once they smooth out I drop those, hopefully.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I was always taught to putt smoother than butter, just let the ball get in your way, its all about a smooth stroke and tempo.

Probly this is why so many ppl complement me on my stroke? Maybe also why im averaging about 25-27 putts recently...

OP
Adam Pettman

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
So far most people are agreeing with my original thoughts but I'll try hitting my putts today just to see the results. I think part of my Uncles theory was that hitting the ball got rid of alot of issues such as trying to steer the ball (pushing and pulling) and also it stops you leaving the ball short as often.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Smooth stroke and get the ball rolling!

'Bout the only thing I can do on a golf course without looking like a fool. I can pretty much grab anything I've got lyin' around & come in under 36. If it's one I'm experienced with, about 30 is a decent day.

Me too! I even played a round earlier this year without my putter; used my gap wedge and had 33 "putts" on the day. :D

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Number of putts per round is normally dependant on your GIR stats as has been said. How many putts do you average when you hit GIR? Thats the stat to work on.

I'd say be aggresive with your putts. If thats what your uncle means by 'hitting' it, I agree. You have to have a good stroke, it should be smooth as long as you hit/stroke the ball hard enough to get to the hole. 100% of putts that come up short don't go in. (By Smooth I mean however long your back stroke is thats how long your follow through should be, I don't mean stabbing your putts with no follow through).

Your a young lad so you shouldn't be scared of hitting past the cup. Tiger is probably the best putter in the game and he hit's his short putts very firm. If he misses a 3-8ft putt he normally goes 1-2ft past doesn't leave many short.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Don't you know that the more greens you hit, the worse your putting stats become. Hit the green, 2 putt... maybe even the occasional 3 putt. Miss the green, chip and one putt. Not many birdies that way, but your putting stats look great. For most of us, good putting stats just means we are good chippers, but lousy ball strikers. :(

Great point and my round yesterday was an example.

I had 11 GIR's. Finished with 36 putts. Shot a 78. Had two birdies.

I made one birdie when I one-putted from 9 feet.

I made one birdie when I two putted on a Par 5 that I reached in two.

I three putted once.

I two putted 17 times.

This is my game. When I score low, it is because I hit a lot of GIR's....

OP
Adam Pettman

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Well I tried hitting them and it works, Some how.
It makes no difference to what my stroke looks like but the thought of hitting the ball means the ball always gets to the hole.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Smooth stroke. I don't bother trying to run it 17" past the hole, but just try to roll it in on the last couple revolutions, or within 3-4 inches. Average about 28~29 a round, and anytime I try and put it past the hole I run it through the break. Just could never get used to playing the break while going past the hole. I figure the 1-2 strokes I may lose on coming up short are made up for on the 4-5 I may lose running through the break on how I read the greens. Just a matter of being able to get over leaving a putt short on occasion.

Interesting subject though. When we play in outings, everyone asks me how I see it. Have a hard time answering because they usually run it past the hole a little, and it may play a couple inches different from mine. So I usually tell them, but indicate they may want to play it inside that line if they want to hit it firm.

🔥 Latest posts